Chapter Nine: The Interview

My alarm startled me from my deep, relaxing dream. As soon as I open my eyes the dream vanishes before me and as I try to grab the stings of the memory, it disappears before I can tug the strings.

That happens all the time these days. I have a dream, I wake up and before I can remember it, it disappears as though it's too painful to remember or as though my subconscious is pushing it away even though I'm trying to pull it toward me.

My subconscious has quieted down, no longing bothering me with stupid comments. Not since...since... I can't remember and I certainly can't remember what my subconscious ever bothered me about.

The sun is just coming up and as I look out of my window I see the view. It's beautiful, the way the colours blend together. My favourite time of day was when the sun was just coming up; to illuminate another day, to shine the day with brightness.

The day before was always tomorrow's brightness.

I rise out of my bed and stretch my arms above my head. My hands land on the edges of my bed and I realise what today is; the day of my interview for art school. The day I've been waiting for.

As I look at the clock I realise I have an hour and a half before my interview so I quickly rush to the bathroom, go in the shower and put some smart but casual clothes on.

As I try to tame my hair - it was always out of control but today was a special occasion, I might as well try and look presentable - I stop to go on my phone, to see I have a text from Care.

Care: Hey! Are we still meeting in 10 minutes?

I realise I have barely any time left as I've already spent 20 minutes getting ready so I quickly text a reply.

Me: Yeah, I'll be there.

I quickly put some makeup on - mainly just mascara as I didn't really have time to do anything else - and brush my teeth all the while listening to an amazing playlist of course, and the next thing I know, I'm rushing to meet Caroline at Java Jones.

I lock my front door without saying goodbye to anyone because they were both at work anyway.

Java Jones was a ten minute walk from my house and a five minute run, so of course I ran. The streets were incredibly busy but that was nothing new. People barely noticed I was rushing through the streets as they were all busy with their own lives.

A loud car horn suddenly went off in the distance and as I turn to look what's happened, though it was probably some angry driver who needed to keep a lock on their road rage, I run into someone who felt like rock.

It physically hurt to run into them - of course it would hurt any way with any one but this felt so much worse. I turn to look at the person to find it's a male.

He has dark hair that reaches just below his ears and he's wearing a "Made in Brooklyn" t-shirt. He has glasses on that look brand new. His brown eyes look in shock but I can't help but look at the different colours of brown in his eyes. The way they blend together and yet are completely different flecks. He isn't very tall but is still taller than me - though that wasn't saying much.

"Clary!" What? He knew my name? My mouth parts with the shock and my eyes widen. Oh god have I forgotten someone again? My memory is getting worse.

"Have we met before?" He looked like he was ready to faint. Or throw up.

"Erm no!" My face must have shown how confused I was. "Sorry I'm a friend of..." he trails off at the end, as though he's waiting for something.

"Caroline?" His face immediately looks relieved.

"Yes! Yes, Caroline! I'm a friend of Caroline's, she talks about you all the time!" That made sense I guess she was my best friend but still talking about me to someone I'd never met-

"How did you know it was me?" He goes as red as a tomato. He stumbles for words for a couple seconds before he looks as though a light bulb went off in his head.

"She's shown me a picture of you two! Yeah..." He smiles down at me as though he wishes he could run away. Far away.

"Oh, well, it's nice to meet you..." Now it was my turn to stumble for words because I have no idea what his name is.

"Simon." He quickly fills in the blank but he looks saddened that he had to remind me. It was about this time that I realise he has tears in his eyes.

"Are you ok?" My eyes widen and he quickly wipes away the tears as though they were never there.

"Yeah, I'm- I have to go. I was on my way to the comic book store..." Right places to go.

"Right! I'm sorry to keep you-"

"Oh, no it's okay, it was a pleasure to meet you," he says with a sad smile.

"It was nice to meet you too Simon," I smile back. Just as we go our separate ways, Simon shouts back at me: "Happy birthday!" I turn back to look at him but he quickly enters the comic book store. Caroline must of told him it was my birthday but why he remembered I would never know.

As I finally reach Care, she says hello, not even surprised I was late.

"So how are you feeling?" She asks me and to be honest I had completely forgotten about my interview since my meeting with Simon.

"I'm fine but- I met your friend, just- like two minutes ago," she looks surprised.

"Who? Clary you know all my friends," she raises her eyebrows at me.

"Simon," she squints her eyes and her eyebrows draw together.

"I don't know a Simon..." wait what?

"Of course you do, you know- brown hair, brown eyes," she's shaking her head slowly at me. "Glasses, loves comics?"

"Sorry Biscuit but I don't know a Simon," this is so confusing.

"But- wait. Biscuit?" It was my turn to raise my eyebrows. Somehow that nickname... it felt right. But it was a ridiculous nickname.

"I'm trying it out," she laughs and I smile but I can't rid myself of the thought of Simon. Who was he? And how did he know me?

"That's weird though- not the nickname, the Simon thing-"

"Weird? I'd say creepy, who was he? Did he actually say he was my friend?"

"Yeah, he said your name, he knew you and me. Okay this is creepy. We need to talk about something else, I can't think abut this right now," I shake my head because I honestly don't want to think of this right before my interview.

We order drinks while talking about watching a new movie or going for a meal with everyone.

As I finish my drink I realise I have just over thirty minutes to get to my interview and I want to be early so I hug Care and start walking to the art college.