Chapter Twenty One: Risks

"So, what's this about now?" Simon had rang us earlier - me, Alec and Izzy - and told us to meet a Taki's but refused to say why. I'd decided to turn up extremely late because I didn't want him to know that I was actually intrigued - Simon never didn't tell Izzy anything. And I also wanted to annoy him after he'd refused to tell us why and annoyed me in the process.

"Why are you late? I told you to meet us here an hour ago," Simon said loudly while looking extremely annoyed.

"Call it getting even," I smirk at him. Alec moves up the seats while also smirking, making room for me to sit down, across from Simon. Izzy was next to Simon, they were holding hands and even though Simon was annoyed with me, they both still looked happy.

Simon just looks at me, suddenly looking worried, for me? For him? I furrow my eyebrows at him and look at Alec who shrugs his shoulders at me and who looks just as confused as me. I clear my throat- twice before he seems to realise that he's staring. "Simon, I'm flattered but taking my sisters boyfriend is not something I want to do and more importantly, I'm not gay, so can you stop staring at me like that please? Because I don't want to be in your sex fantasies- I mean, I get it, I'm stunningly attractive but like I said earlier I'm not gay, so-"

"Jace, we get it," Alec interrupts me. I just smirk and roll my eyes at all of them. Izzy looks very entertained.

"I was just making sure he knew," I pause before continuing "and that if he ever hurts Izzy, I will torture him in ways that will make him wish he was dead," I smile broadly at Simon.

"Yeah, Jace you've gave me that speech like six times now-"

"Like I said, I'm just making sure you know," I point to myself and mouth best Shadowhunter of my age. He just closes his eyes and smiles to himself. I say sarcastically, "Okay, I think it's about time you told us why we're here, the suspense is killing Alec," the suspense was killing me.

"Oh right, yeah, okay..." his careless look has vanished and has been replaced by worry and dread. "I erm- I- well, as you know, it's Clary's birthday tomorrow..."

"That's hardly groundbreaking news Simon-"

"Yes, I know that. But... I'm her best friend... even if she doesn't know me and I refuse to not be there for her eighteenth. Yes, I know it's weird," he says as we all look at him in disbelief, "I know she has a new life but I can't help believing that the Clary we all knew and loved is still in there- just... hidden. Deeply hidden. But she's still there. I know it. I know it," he says to himself, to convince himself?

I'm too shocked to even speak, why would he even suggest this? He continues, "I want to be there for our Clary, I want her to know that we still love and care for her, I need to do it. I need to," he finally looks at us from underneath his eyelashes, shyly and I'm reminded of the old Simon, the one who didn't have muscles and was gangly and the biggest nerd I'd ever met. The guy who couldn't speak to girls without getting his words in a twist. Which reminds me of the one girl he could always speak to, Clary Fray.

This is what tips me over, what makes me speak.

"Are you kidding? Tell me that you're kidding, Simon! Tell me now," I've stood up so quickly I barely even realised it.

"Jace-" Simon tries to justify himself to me but how could he? He would be putting Clary's life at risk. How could he justify that to me?

"No! I can't believe you would even suggest this Simon-"

"Jace-" this time it's not me who interrupts Simon. It's Alec.

"Simon, that's the most stupid idea to ever come out of your mundane mouth-"