Chapter Six: The Hunt

Mistoffelees paced up and down determinedly, trying his best not to show how terrified he actually was. Before him stood a small line of cats, who were from now on to be his allies. Each stood steely straight, head up, unmoving. Munkustrap had tried to persuade Misto to take a whole pack of hunters with him, but he had refused. They couldn't afford to lose that many cats, and there was no way they could sneak up on Macavity with an entire group in tow. Plato, Demeter, Bombalurina and The Rum Tum Tugger stood in silence. Demeter's eyes darted around wildly, all senses alert. Tugger and Plato gazed blankly ahead, seemingly unnerved. Bomba fixed her glance on Misto as he walked around anxiously. Munkustrap sat on the tyre behind, watching everything from a distance. His black and silver fur bristled gently. He was paranoid. He had ordered Misto to let him come, but he had refused, and deep down Munku knew he had his reasons. A larger group would only attract unwanted attention and someone needed to protect the remaining Jellicles in case of another attempted kidnapping. Macavity seemed to have alliances all over town and Munku didn't want to risk it. Besides, Plato was one of their fiercest warriors; he would protect them. Tugger would probably be useless, though he couldn't help admiring his brother's determination. Only Munkustrap knew about the huge crush he'd had on Misto since he'd set eyes on him, and he was proud that even if he ignored almost everything he said, he'd learned to stand up for the cats he loved and cared about. For Munku this was the most important thing any cat could be taught. Bomba and Demeter were brave and skilled fighters when they were given reason, but he was worried about the golden tabby. Demeter had been skittish and suspicious even before she joined the Jellicle Tribe, and it didn't seem to be getting better. Facing Macavity could completely derail her. But it was her own sacrifice to make, and he knew there was no way he could stop her.
Misto had been vague when describing his plan. In fact from Munku's point of view he didn't appear to have one. By the sounds of it he guessed it was just going to be a head on attack. When he thought about it, there wasn't really another way. Macavity was smarter than anyone liked to believe, and he was almost impossible to fool. He only prayed his friends would be strong enough to hold him off long enough to save Etcetera. His worried gaze met that of Tugger, whose expression was impossible to read. There was no feeling in his eyes, and if he was nervous he wasn't letting on. Munkustrap bowed his head gently as a sign of respect and good wishes, and a grateful smile slowly appeared on the other cat's face. Not enough so that it was obvious to anyone else, but for the silver tom it was enough. 

* * * 

Mistoffelees padded in circles swiftly, eyes wide, whiskers tense. He was terrified. If his magic would work he could do this! He was scared for his friends, Demeter and Tugger especially. The last thing Demi needed was to meet with Macavity again. There had to be some way they could trick him and bring both her and Etcy back safely...It would take them at least a few days to find where he was hiding; he'd think of something. And Tugger...Misto would never admit it to his face, but he cared about the golden tom more than he wanted to. He didn't know why; after all, he was cocky and self-centered and impossible to understand. He knew he probably had next to no interest in him, but him coming on the journey with him lifted his spirits a little. He'd never seen Tugger fight, but no doubt he was probably brilliant at it. He was tall and fit and had the sharpest teeth and claws of any cat Misto had seen in a while. With him on their side they stood some chance. But still, Macavity was not a force to be messed with, and if anything happened to Tugger Misto wouldn't know what to do with himself. He was terrified. He had lied to Munkustrap too. He knew if he told him their plan to swap Demeter for Etcy he would never let them go, but it was their only choice, so he made up something on the spot that seemed to work. The guilt ate away at him. He'd messed everything up. Saving Etcy was the only was he could make up for it all, but without his powers what use was he? They made him who he was, and without them he felt lost and empty. He fell back to Earth with a thud when Plato's sharp, brash voice interrupted his thoughts. 

"Are we going to stand around all day or are we going to get stuff done? Because I'm not here for a walk in the park. I'm taking Macavity down and then coming straight home, got it? We need to get going if we want to gain any ground on him; he could be anywhere by now. He'll know we're looking for him." 

The pale brown and cream tabby glared at Misto judgmentally, his dark eyes merely narrow slits on his face. He was starting to look nervous himself; shifting about uneasily on his paws and looking around skittishly, clearly full of suspicion and fear. Misto swallowed quickly and nodded. His stomach was doing backflips and he couldn't stop himself from shaking. 

"Yeah-sorry," he mewed. "We should head off now." 

"Come on then, let's go. I'm tired of standing around," Tugger purred impatiently. Bombalurina rolled her dark eyes and Demeter spun her head quickly and hissed. 

"Let's hope Macavity is entertaining enough for you then." 

"Yeah," Tugger replied, oblivious to her disgust. All of the others could see how on edge she was. Bombalurina knew she would have to stay by her friend's side the whole way through. Of course she was terrified of the Hidden Paw, but she had to swallow her fear for Demeter's sake. She had to look out for her. Macavity wouldn't lay a paw on her, she'd make sure of it. Besides, with Misto and his magical powers, what could go wrong? 

With a swift nod to Munkustrap and a gentle purr to the rest of the tribe, she lead the group of cats out of the yard and into the city. The hunt had begun.  

The squad has assembled!!! Really though they're squad goals, like almost all my fave characters together. How will they get along though? They all have VERY strong personalities so shit might go down. Thanks for reading! :3 xxx