Chapter Twenty-Two: Lifeless

Etcetera stared up at the sky, longing to be dry and warm again. She shivered with cold and fear, and a wave of anger came over her. What right did He have over her? She wasn't just some object for Him to play around with whenever he pleased. She wanted to go home. She hadn't eaten in days and the water around her paws was getting dirtier and chillier, to the point where she couldn't bear it. She had been trapped in the shallow drain for so long she'd forgotten what it felt like to stand on solid concrete instead of damp cobbles. Above her, a small opening in the ground covered by some bars was the only source of light. She built up all the energy and determination inside her and sprung into the air, clutching onto the bars above her so she was suspended over the water and thrashing her tail around wildly. 

"Let me out!" she hissed. Her voice sent seagulls scattering and the still atmosphere was broken. "Let me out!" 

The thin orange tom appeared as if from nowhere and glared down at her, his eyes narrow and dark and wild. 

"What was that?" he spat, his voice no more than a whisper. The young kit was terrified, but she wouldn't let it show. She had to get home to her family. She didn't belong like this. 

"I said let me out, you heard me! I want to go home, let me go!" 

She began to scream at the top of her lungs, knowing someone would eventually hear. Macavity at first looked taken aback but quickly recomposed himself. 

"Shut up," he snarled, still almost inaudible. Etcetera clung on tighter, her body suspended above the filthy water. 

"Let me go!" she yowled, still caterwauling as loud as she could. Macavity ripped the cover off the drain and held it in the air, the cream kitten still hanging on. Being this close to him made her heart flip and her whole body freeze. She stopped yelling at once, her mouth stuck open. The tom began to shake the lid violently, sending Etcy flying down the alleyway and crashing into some garbage cans at one end. Her body slammed into the metal canisters and crumbled onto the floor, lifeless. The once excitable and cheerful she-cat lay crumpled on the stone cold ground. Macavity stalked over and stood looking down at her, unblinking, unmoving. He smiled.