Chapter Ten: Pathetic

Macavity's fiery fur stood on end. He sat, silent, perfectly still, on top of a rooftop gutter pipe, looking down on the city. Here he could finally be alone. Here he could think. 

His empty eyes stared blankly at the black night sky, at the stars appearing above him. He knew he was being hunted. The thought made him laugh to himself. He'd caught their scents early this evening. His Senses had told him straight away that it was a small pack. He'd take them down in seconds, if they ever found him. 

What was better was who he was going to be dealing with. His father really must have lost it, sending the most pathetic straggle of cats he could think of. Demeter was one. This he knew from the start. He'd take her back for sure. He wasn't done with her yet. Maybe the red queen too. And Mistoffelees, that little brat. He'd crush him in an instant. His youngest brother would be a walk in the park. He was puny and pathetic and couldn't fight to save his life. There was another cat too, one he didn't know. The scent had been strong but he didn't recognise it. Must be one of the kittens that had been born the moon he left the tribe. He would be a good few moons old now, but this didn't bother Macavity. He'd be just as useless as the rest. He was disappointed that Munku wasn't searching for him. He remembered the look on his brother's face when he first stole those kittens moons ago. It always brightened up his day, seeing the silver tom struggle to keep his little gang together. Probably the most satisfying thing. But Tugger would do for now. He was a way to get to Munku and Deuteronomy. All those stupid kittens adored him, it would crush them too. The whole tribe for the price of one. It was all falling into place. 

The squeals of his prisoner trapped down below brought him to his senses.