Chapter 2: The East End Alley

Inside the carriage, a pair of emerald eyes were scanning around the street of London. It was still raining. Our little baron's daughter, Lily couldn't help thinking about the teenage boy from yesterday. This time she was alone. She has to make a little white lie to her mother in order to go out alone. 

Flashback:

"Mother," Lily called as she opens the door to her mother's room.

"Lily, come in!" Her mother, Catherine welcome her daughter with a smile. "What is it, dear?"

Lily puts her hands behind her back and gave her mother a sweet smile.

"Mother, may I go out?" Lily asked.

"Oh, let me get ready then," said Catherine preparing to stand up from her seat.

"Oh...I mean...may I go out alone?" Lily asked as she looked away. 

Her mother was surprised to hear that coming out from her daughter's mouth. She has never let her daughter to go out alone. Usually, she will accompany her. 

"Why do you need to go out alone, Lily?" Catherine asked feeling worried. 

"Oh well, you see...," said Lily as she looked at her mother's eyes. "I wanted to buy a present for you, mother. It was supposed to be a surprise..."

"Oh...how thoughtful of you," said Catherine with a laugh and blushed. "Alright! Just pretend that I didn't hear that from you. I can't wait for your present!"

-End of flashback- 

Lily sighed. She knew she has to lie in order to go out. In her heart, she will buy a bouquet of flowers for her mother later just to make up for that lie. Lily looked out of the window again. There! She saw it again. This time two little boys were stealing breads from the same bakery again with the baker trying to chase after them.  In the end, the baker couldn't chase them because they were too fast. He went back to his bakery again. Then, the boys ran to the same corner again and she decided to check it out.

"I will be back. Just wait for me here," said Lily to her chauffeur and went out of the carriage with her umbrella to cover her from the rain.

Lily slowly walks to the bakery. The door opens with a 'ding' which makes the baker to greet her.

"Welcome~!" The baker greeted with a smile.

The way he smile makes Lily feeling uncomfortable. She can still remember how he treated badly to the teenage boy yesterday. She knew that because of their social status. Ignoring her thoughts, she decided to buy the breads.

"I want that, that and that. Umm...those too," said Lily as she kept pointing at different types of breads.

The baker nodded and went to pick those that Lily has selected. After that, he gave Lily two big bags filled with breads. He gave her a big smile when she paid him.

"That's awfully a lot of bread there for a young lady such as you," said the baker looking at Lily.

Lily tried to think of a reason and blushed. "Umm...these are for my servants, haha," said Lily with a weak laugh and she quickly took the big bags with her tiny hands. 

Once outside, she tried her best to carry two big bags with her left hand and her right holding the umbrella steady. She began to walk to where the two boys went.

"I think it's this way...," said Lily as she began to enter.

What Lily didn't know was that it was an alley... The East End Alley...the place was dark and dirty. With the rain, it caused the place to become slippery. Once Lily entered far enough, there were seven hungry looking children inside. They were covering themselves with a big cloth trying to hide from the rain. They were looking at their strange visitor. Lily felt a bit scared but she knew she has come this far. Suddenly, Lily saw him. He was the same teenage boy from yesterday. This time, she can see him properly. He has orange hair and purple eyes. He was sitting in the middle between two children. Thus, their eyes met. 

Without thinking, she went to him and placed the two bags in front of him.

"U...Umm...please...," Lily squeaked and all of them turned to look at her. "Please take it as much as you like!"

Once she said it, they began to take the breads like there was no tomorrow and began eating it with big bites. Some of the children didn't have arms and legs or were incomplete... But, Lily was smiling happily because they were able to eat. Then, she took a bread and walked to the teenage boy. She knelt down until his eyes level.

"Please take it," said Lily with a smile. 

He looked at her curiously and took it. 

"Oh...this medicine is for you," said Lily as she took out a small medicine bottle from her pocket. "It must hurt a lot yesterday, right? Please take it."

He looked at her again. This time he finally spoke.

"Why're yer giving it to us?" He asked.

Lily was surprised and tilted her head. "Eh?" Lily squeaked and she gave him a warm smile. "Isn't it fine? I wanted to help because I wanted to."

"Eh?" The teenage boy squeaked feeling surprised to the answer she has given.

Then, a little girl with her hair covering her left eye was sitting on his left. She was clutching him tightly as she looked at Lily with curious eyes. Lily noticed her and she looked at her umbrella. With a smile, she hold out her tiny hand and gave it to her.

"I believe you need this more than me," said Lily as she smiled. She didn't mind getting wet and she covered her head with her gloved hands. Suddenly, she remember about the chauffeur. She scared that the chauffeur may get worry if she doesn't go back soon. "I'm sorry but I need to go. I will come visit again. Goodbye!"

She stood up and began to run back to the carriage. The little girl blushed and tucked on the teenage boy's ragged shirt making him to look down at her. 

"She is beautiful," said the little girl with a smile and she was holding the umbrella tightly.

"Ah," he said with a smile. "I hope we can meet again."

**A short chapter. About the Baron's wife, I don't know her name so I just randomly think of one... = =" Thank you for reading!