Chapter 7: Engagement

In the Rowans manor, Lily was running to the main door feeling excited. Then, she passed her mother and Alfred.

"I will be leaving now! See you mother! See you Alfred!" Lily shouted.

"Come back before dinner!" Catherine reminded her receiving a 'Yes' shout from Lily. Once Lily disappeared to the door, Catherine can't stop herself from smiling. "I'm glad to see her in a good mood these days."

"She has been studying a lot, Madam," Alfred replied. "Lily-sama deserves a rest."

"Yes, it's good to let her relax once in a while," said Catherine. "Come Alfred, please prepare tea for me."

"Yes, madam," said Alfred with a smile.

~*~*~*~*~*~

In the Resbourn Workhouse, there were a lot of children who have been adopted once it has been established. They were happily playing along with Lily except for Joker, Beast and Dagger who were sitting on a wooden bench. Lily began to approach them.

"Aren't the three of you going to join us?" Lily asked.

Dagger gave a weak smile and looked at his missing right leg. "I wish I could play with them...," Dagger replied weakly.

Lily noticed he was talking about his missing right leg and so was Beast. She felt ashamed of herself for not thinking about their condition.

"I'm sorry, Dagger...," Lily apologized earning a smile from Dagger.

"It's alright, Lil," said Dagger. "I will just watch."

Lily was unable to respond. Then, an idea strikes her head. She went to Jumbo who lowered himself and whispered something to his left ear. Jumbo nodded and he slowly walked to where Dagger was. Dagger looked up at Jumbo and Jumbo began to carry Dagger.

"Wh...What?!" Dagger shouted and Jumbo carried him on his back. "Huh? Jumbo?" Then, he looked down at Lily.

"I asked Jumbo to carry you," said Lily. "Now you can play with us, Dagger!"

Dagger was feeling surprised and Jumbo began to run to the children. He was laughing and this makes Lily to smile more.

"I'm sorry," Joker apologized to Beast who was sitting beside him and Lily turned to look at them. "I wish I can carry you like that but without my right hand..."

"It's alright...," said Beast sadly and blushed at his statement.

"Joker," Lily called and he looked at her. Lily suggested both of them to carry her by trying to lift her up. Joker was on her right and Lily on the left. "With Joker and I by your side, you can play with us now, Beast!" Lily said as she smiled.

"Thank you, Lil," said Beast as she smiled.

"Hm? Of course! What are friends for?" Lily replied.

When Beast and Lily were smiling with each other, Joker can't stop himself from looking at Lily. He began to blush because Lily's smile has caused his heart to beat faster. Slowly, they moved together and they were able to play with each other.

~*~*~*~*~*~

After that, the children were still playing leaving Joker and Lily having their own private conversation. They were sitting on a wooden bench while admiring the nature. Then, Joker told Lily about his idea of starting a circus and Lily was delighted to hear it.

"I can't wait!" shouted Lily.

"Thanks," said Joker.

"I will be your first customer!" shouted Lily.

"Then, it's a promise!" shouted Joker and he make a magic trick. Lily was surprised when Joker make a lily appeared again.

"How...how did you do that?!" shouted Lily in surprised.

"A magician never reveals his secret," said Joker as he laughed. "I'm sorry I couldn't give yer a good flower..."

Lily took it and smile as she blushed. "No, it's wonderful," said Lily as she looked at him. "It's really beautiful. Thank you, Joker."

Now Joker's face was really red because of Lily's smile. "Ah...hmm...," said Joker with a cough and blushed. "Well...let's go play, shall we?"

Joker extended his left hand for Lily to hold. Lily looked at his hand as she blushed and took it. This was a memory that she couldn't forget. When she went back home, her mother welcome her with a news.

"Eh? What do you mean, mother?" Lily asked feeling surprised.

"Surprised?" asked Catherine. "You're going to engage to the son of Crawford who is from a noble family."

"En...gage?" Lily squeaked and she dropped her lily which Joker has given her.

"We must set up a day for you to meet him," said her mother. "I heard he is a lovely gentleman. What a great suitor for you, Lily."

Lily was quiet and sad because she didn't want to get married yet. Then, she began to think of her friends especially Joker. The engagement bothered Lily too much and she wasn't her normal self. She began to visit them again one day. This time there were a lot of carts and it looked like someone was moving. She decided to find Joker and Joker decided to tell her that they were going to leave the place.

"Eh? You're leaving?" Lily asked feeling surprised with the given answer.

"Ah," said Joker with a nod. "We're going to set up our own circus..."

"That's wonderful....," said Lily.

"Thanks!" Joker said happily.

"When are you leaving?"Lily asked as she clenched her hands into fists.

"Next week," said Joker.

"Oh...," Lily squeaked. "It's the day I will meet him..."

"Him?" Joker squeaked.

"Joker...there is something I have to tell you," said Lily which makes her heart ache as she looked at Joker. "I'm going to get engage..."

"Eh?" Joker squeaked as his eyes widened at the news.