Chapter 4: Father and daughter

"Lily, are you ready?" 

Catherine called her daughter because they were going for an afternoon tea to meet some nobles' wives. Lily fixed her hat while looking at herself in the mirror. She smiled and was ready to go.

"I'm ready, mother," said Lily as she ran to her mother's side.

When they were about to leave, Baron Kelvin came out from his study and the two stopped in front of him. Once a smile, Lily began to frown and looked away from him. This caused the baron to frown as well and he turned to look at his wife.

"Going out somewhere?" Baron Kelvin asked.

"Yes, dear. I'm bringing Lily to the afternoon tea," said Catherine with a smile as she placed a hand around her daughter's shoulder. "Say goodbye to your father, Lily."

"Goodbye, father," Lily replied with a monotone and she still refused to look at her father.

"Hmph! You better not disgrace our name," said Baron Kelvin as he walked away without looking at his daughter. "I can't believe you're bringing an ugly child!"

"Dear...," Catherine mumbled as she looked at her husband's back and looked at Lily. "Lily, your father didn't mean that. Let's leave, shall we?"

Lily nodded as she followed her mother out of the mansion. Baron Kelvin disliked his daughter because she was not beautiful like an angel. Actually, Lily was already beautiful that most nobles wanted her to be their sons' future bride although she is just 13 years old. Lily could still remember how her father treated her when she was still a child.

-Flashback-

"Here's your tea, father," said Lily  (aged 8) as she tried to get her father's attention as she entered his study room.

"Take it away!" The baron shouted as he pushed the tea away from him causing it to break as it fell on the ground. "I don't want to touch anything made from an unwanted pest!"

This hurts Lily more. Tears began to form in her emerald eyes and she left the room.  She will always cry in her mother's arms.

"Mother, why doesn't father love me?" asked Lily as she cries.

"Lily...my precious daughter," said her mother as she hugged her in her arms. "It's alright, I'm here for you..."

Lily doesn't mind if her father doesn't love her because she has her mother. That's why she loves her mother more than her father. 

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Where is your mother?" Baron Kelvin asked.

Lily was in her room reading a book and she didn't bother to turn to look at him. She replied him in monotone again.

"Mother is still sick," Lily replied as she turned to the next page.

"Then, you will go in her place," said Baron Kelvin seriously.

"What?" Lily squeaked.

Before Lily can reply, it was decided by the Baron as he took her (by force) to a party hosted by Vincent Phantomhive. In the Phantomhive manor, many nobles greeted Baron Kelvin because of his job helping the charity. Once they asked him about his daughter, he gave them all a fake smile which disgusted Lily very much. She knew her father wasn't sincere in introducing her. She didn't even bother to pay any attention of what they were saying. How she wished she could spend her time with her friends in the gutter. Suddenly, Baron Kelvin knelt to her height as he whispered near her ear.

"Make sure you don't ruin my reputation," Baron Kelvin whispered as he stands up again ready to greet Chlaus. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"My pleasure," Chlaus replied and looked at Lily. "My, who is this beautiful young lady?"