Chapter 3: Nickname

Lily began to meet the children from the East End Alley and the children were always feeling happy whenever she came for a visit. They became closer to her which they immediately became friends.

"Hey, what is your name?" A little boy with short, blond hair asked as he came up to her. He was holding hands with a little girl who has brown hair and red eyes. Both of them were looking at her. You can say the three of them shared the same height.

Lily looked at them and realised she hasn't introduced herself yet.

"I'm sorry for not introducing myself," said Lily politely. "My name is Lily."

"Li...ly...?" The little boy repeated her name with a bit struggle calling her name.

"Umm...is it too long?" Lily asked feeling worried.

A boy who was missing a right leg was trying to jump himself to stand beside Lily. "Wow, you have a beautiful name!" He said with a smile.

"Thank you. It was my mother who name me," Lily explained. "She name me after her favourite flower."

"Hmm...still long," said the little boy. "Lil...I will call you 'Lil' for short. What do ya think?"

He asked the brown hair girl and another bigger boy. They were smiling and nodded to tell him that they too agreed deciding to call her 'Lil'.

"It's easy to remember," the boy with no right leg agreed too. "Lil!"

Lily began to smile because she felt a bit happy for her new friends to call her new nickname. She knew that they grew differently.

"Alright then," said Lily. "What about you? Do you want to call me 'Lil' for short?" She turned to another girl who seems to be older than her. Just like the boy who has no right leg, she was the opposite...she has no left leg.

The girl with no left leg began to blush and looked at Lily. "Then, I will call you Lil too," she said. Lily smiled and hold her hands. The fact is...Lily was happy to make her first female friend.

"But I like the name Lily!" The little girl whose hair was covering her left eye pouted as she clutched Lily's dress. "It's really pretty. I will call you Lily not Lil. Right?" She turned to look at the orange hair teenage boy. She didn't mind if he call her with her new nickname. But she does wish he would call her name...

"Lily," he called.

Lily widened her eyes and looked at him. Their eyes met and Lily couldn't believe he was actually calling her name. He was standing in front of her. He was a bit taller than the rest except for the big boy.

"I will call you Lily," said the teenage boy.

Lily can't help feeling happy because most of her friends decided to call her nickname. But...not him... Her face was a bit red. Without realising, the teenage boy's face was a bit red too.

"Since I told all of you my name," began Lily trying to change her topic. "Tell me yours!"

All of them became quiet which makes Lily to look at them.

"We...don't have a name...," the little girl whose hair was covering her left eye answered.

"Eh?" Lily squeaked.

"Lil, we're unwanted children living in the gutter...," said the boy with no right leg. "We don't know our names since birth."

"We admired you, Lily," said the teenage boy. "So..."

Lily interrupted him.

"Someday...," said Lily making them to look at her. "Tell me your names once you've figured it out. By that time, surely I will call your names."

The teenage boy looked at her smile. He can't stop himself from looking at her. Something was pounding his heart. Trying to ignore it, he looked at her.

"Alright, we will," said the teenage boy as he smiled back. "We will, Lily."

Lily really love her new friends but little does she knows that this is the last time she will see them...