#14

Sadie tried her very best to be quiet; she would be dead within moments if Blue found out she was following her. She knew she would not be as helpful as a shifter, but she wanted to lend a hand in the rescue of Balthazar. Why she was experiencing this sudden urge to risk her life to save his; even she didn't want to delve into this whirlpool of emotion. Keeping her mind firmly anchored to the task at hand; Sadie trudged along silently. She had managed to catch fleeting glimpses of Blue and was following in her wake. The trees held scratch marks and broken branches littered the forest floor; carving out a clear pathway for Sadie to follow even if she couldn't always spot Blue herself.

"You do realize you're not very stealthy, don't you?" A voice whispered in her ear.

Sadie shrieked and spun about; coming face to face with the unimpressed form of Blue. The female crossed her arms as she surveyed a gaping Sadie. Blue cocked a brow as she stared impassively at Sadie; no doubt waiting for an explanation.

"I just wanted to help Balthazar." Sadie sighed as she answered the unspoken question.

"You would have helped him by staying at the cabin." Blue rolled her eyes as she walked past Sadie. "Either you keep close to me; or I leave you for dead." She called out over her shoulder.

"You're not sending me back?" Excited, Sadie skipped up to the female and smiled at her warmly.

"We're in a section of the forest you've never been to and I can't take the time to walk you all the way back." Blue swatted a branch out of her way. "Can't believe I didn't sense you earlier."

"Your mind was probably preoccupied." Sadie soothed.

"Not sensing you means I may have missed out on vital clues." Blue cast her an imperceptible glance. "Means I could have been attacked."

"Okay..." Sadie trailed off, unsure what to say in response.

"I caught a scent a while back.There's a group of hyenas up ahead. Probably waiting for Balthazar's rescue party." Blue explained as she walked Sadie to the base of a massive tree. "Sadie you climb as high up this tree as you can and stay out of sight. Hyenas don't climb well, that'll keep you safe."

Sadie gulped as she eyed the massive tree. She was certain that she would slip and plummet to her death; but the only other option was to defy Blue's command.

Falling to her death was preferable than facing Blue's wrath.

Sadie climbed up the tree, her fear of the female propelling her up the branches in no time. She didn't dare to let herself think about the height or falling till she had herself firmly seated on a sturdy branch.

"You good?" Blue called up to her.

"Somewhat..." Sadie shakily answered.

"Hang tight, I'm going to be back with a few people soon." Blue ordered and walked away, disappearing within the trees within moments.

Sadie slumped against the tree trunk, Lord knew how long she would be stuck there. Waiting for Blue to bring people here; no doubt the female was gathering a team for Balthazar's retrieval.

About a quarter hour later a rustling of branches sounded close by. Sadie clutched a branch overhead for support as she peered anxiously about her surroundings. A familiar head of dark hair emerged from the foliage; dragging a limp form behind her. Reaching the base of the tree, Blue hogtied the male before she glanced up at Sadie. Placing a finger over her mouth, she urged Sadie to be quiet. Moments later, Blue was gone. A while later she emerged from the surrounding forest; dragging two bodies behind her. By now Sadie was thoroughly curious, she peered down at Blue; who was swiftly tying up the other two men. Once again Blue confirmed that Sadie was in fact in the tree before she disappeared into the trees.