#18

Recap:

Mumbling their agreement, they all filed out and headed to the elevators. Sadie and Balthazar following at the end. Sadie could tell everything her family had said had gotten to him, and he was nervous about the state of their relationship. Although they were all extremely valid questions and points, Sadie knew that at one point in life, one had to be reckless and take a risk. What was life without risks after all?

As they waited for the elevator to arrive, Sadie pulled him aside and walked a little distance from her family.

"I love you, Balthazar. No matter what they say, they can't change what we have. What I feel for you, what our future holds."

Chapter 18:

Balthazar clutched his hair in frustration as he stared sightlessly into the room that had housed his best friend for the past three weeks. He was beyond frustrated. Ever since that fateful day, he'd been wracked with guilt every second of every single day. He knew he was putting his friend into danger by jumping off of that cliff, but he was adamant that she would come through with barely a scratch to show for it.

He didn't know what to do anymore. He'd managed to bring his friend to the brink of death. Granted that Blue was a female more than capable of taking care of herself, he ought to have placed her safety before all else when taking a decision.

Letting out a heartfelt sigh, Balthazar slumped against the glass. His gaze aimed at the floor as he rested his forehead against the cool surface, the stark cold bringing clarity to his thoughts.

"You've got to stop blaming yourself." A female voice piped up. He barely glanced at the petite older female coming to a stop beside him.

"Mrs. Kingston," he acknowledged her respectfully.

"My little girl is worried about you." She informed him as she coolly inspected her manicure. "And that worries me."

Not knowing what to say, Balthazar chose to remain quiet.

"Sadie is a sensitive woman; she's not going to be placated with a few halfhearted words of reassurance." Mrs. Kingston stared out at the comatose figure of Blue as she spoke. "I think you ought to deal with your demons before you go about getting serious about my daughter."

"I've been nothing but serious about her from the start." Balthazar clenched his fists to keep from attacking her. "She is my world."

"And what do you intend to do when she becomes yours for eternity?" In that moment, Balthazar realized just who was blocking his and Sadie's destiny. But there wasn't much he could do about it, he had been ready to make her his since the very moment she stepped foot inside his house; but Sadie would no doubt be heavily influenced as a result of her mother, "My daughter will not be a random girl you can use and discard as you please. If you want to marry her then you will do it as I say so."

"Your daughter is my everything." Balthazar stared sightlessly at the floor, "Name your price, I am willing to do anything for her." Mrs. Kingston's hand came to rest on his arm and she gently guided him down the corridor and out of the hospital.

His cabin hadn't been large enough to house all of the family, so he had secured housing for them in the guest building. Sadie hadn't wanted to part with her family, and as a result Balthazar found himself living in the guest housing as well. Even though they lived in adjacent rooms, Balthazar barely ever got a minute alone with her. Sadie's family was hogging all her time and attention; but they made her happy, so he couldn't complain. All he wanted was her happiness.