Chapter Six

Mackenzie stood on the stepstool and titled the framed photo a little to the left. Stepping back down, she cocked her head to the side and climbed back up to tap the picture just a bit to the right. Arching back, she slanted her head from side to side, admiring her handiwork. The sepia tones of the piece was amazing and the composition drew her in so deeply, she didn't hear the tinkling sound of the bell above the store door announcing a customer.

"That's a mighty fine ass," a very pleased sounding deep voice said behind her causing her to jump.

Whirling her arms, Mackenzie tried to maintain her balance on the stepstool, but because she had been leaning back, it was impossible and she felt herself tipping backwards. A small yelp broke free from her lips as she toppled over, but before she could hit the floor, a pair of strong arms caught her in the nick of time.

A very stout pair of tanned arms with those sexy veins, muscles and a light smattering of blonde hair clutched her under her arms. Wrapping around her until they met just right under her breasts. Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! She'd seen these arms before and a blush started to make her ears burn. The tingling heat moving to her cheeks when she turned and came face to the sexy grin of Chase Stark.

"Hello darlin'," he said, his blue eyes twinkling with mischief causing her breath to hitch in her chest.

The man was a menace to her hormones. His deep voice sensually worked its way over her body leaving her a quivering mess with damp panties. Biting her bottom lip hard to keep from sighing, she wiggled her fingers in a little wave at him. "Hi...Chase."

He chuckled as he extricated her out of his arms, setting her back up on her wobbly legs. "I didn't mean to spook you." Gently, he brushed a lock of hair out of her face.

She shivered as the tips of his fingers feathered over her ear. Not accustomed to receiving such a sweet gesture of affection, Mackenzie stepped back before she did something stupid like putting her head in his hand and started to purr.

Smoothing her simple white laced, embroidered tunic down over her blue jean skirt and back to where it was presentable, she tried to gather her wits. "I...was just adjusting...a...picture," she mumbled. Something about the way that cowboy was looking at her left her with worse speech abilities then she had when she was a teenager.

Was it possible he had gotten even better looking from the last time she'd seen him, she wondered peeking at him over her shoulder as she folded up the stepstool.

He sure was a sight for sore eyes dressed in faded blue jeans and a black t-shirt that showed off a powerful set of arms. His chest was wide and so well defined, her fingers prickled to touch it. The urge to trace her index finger across the thin material and over his tight stomach and around each one of his six-pack ripples she could see...even through the shirt...was so strong, she had to curl her hand into a fist to keep herself from actually doing it.

A slight jingling sound reached her ears as he walked over to grab the small stepstool out of her hands. Looking down to his boots, she noticed the silver spurs poking out from under the fray of his blue jeans. Why the sound of them had her gasping for breath, she wasn't sure. But it was if the sound of them had a direct line to her clit as it throbbed at the cadence they made with each step he took.

"Where do you want this?" he asked, bringing her eyes back up to his face. He was minus a cowboy hat today and instead sported a well-worn baseball cap that proclaimed him well worth the ride.

Mackenzie hid a giggle behind her hand as she pointed to a little store closet behind the cash register up front. Getting to watch him walk away from her with those spurs jangling away had to be on her top ten list of best things that ever happened to her. But getting an eyeful of him on his way back, had her moaning under her breath.