Chapter Nineteen

They wanted to take her to bed? Both of them? Mackenzie's wide-eyes darted from one brother to the other, while her mind tried to grapple with what Trent had said. Little by little, the initial shock of his statement wore off and her ability to think began to slowly click on. Since she doubted they were the type of guys who did sleepovers and pillow fights, that left only one other option. They wanted to have sex with her. Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! She felt her mouth fall open, but she didn't bother to close it. If she snapped it shut, it would simply drop open again and she would end up doing a mighty fine impression of a fish out of water. And who could blame her for sitting there with her mouth hanging open wide enough to catch June bugs. She shook her head and blinked in disbelief, unsure what to say or do. It wasn't everyday two extremely attractive men confessed to wanting to have sex with you. Maybe it was common place here in Rapture, but that kind of stuff didn't happen to her.

Stupefied, she sat gawking at them. They were so gorgeous, even in their wrinkled shirts from the night before. Two identical men, male perfection with sculpted faces and blazing blue eyes, stared back at her from across the table. One looked at her with a warm imploring expression which made her heart speed up. The other had a challenging embodiment of a bad boy who added heat to the blood surging through her veins. Between the two of them and their smoldering looks full of intent and promise, she was a prime candidate for heart failure. If she wasn't already positive she wasn't dreaming, she would have pinched herself.

Dragging her gaze away, she looked down in her lap and winced. Here she was, sitting across from the two most handsome men she had ever met, and she was wearing a pair of Kara's borrowed jeans two sizes too big with a t-shirt she should have thrown into the rag pile years ago. She sighed and tried to straighten the shirt enough to hide a stain, but ended up revealing a hole instead. The only clothes she owned now were all contained in one small basket of laundry she had in the back of her Jeep, which she had intended to take to the laundromat the night she ran away from Justin. Needless to say, there hadn't been much in there, but at least it held enough of her own things to keep from having to borrow underwear. She groaned under her breath as she remembered the fancy, red skivvies she had plucked from their bedroom rafters.

Even if she did have the guts to go to Justin's and collect the rest of her belongings, none of it compared to the quality of those undies. Whoever owned those, didn't shop at the Second Time Around store. The owner of those panties had the whole feminine wiles thing down pat and probably looked like a million bucks instead of like her...a bounced check. She could feel her cheeks warm. Who was she kidding? Even if she had the funds to buy sexy lingerie, she would never be able to inspire the kind of passion in a man it would take for him to fling her panties to the ceiling.

Mackenzie almost laughed out loud at the thought of a set of her functional, white, grannie panties dangling from their rafters. No...that would never happen to her. She accepted that truth about herself a long time ago. What little bit of self-confidence she used to possess, had virtually disappeared when Justin started calling her frigid...amongst other things...during the few times he had sex with her. Though she knew she never loved him, his taunting of her lack of sexual ability in the sack still hurt. Thanks to his constant reminding of what a terrible lay she was, she knew all too well she didn't have what it took to really satisfy a man. Let alone two. She snorted softly. If she couldn't please a loser like Justin, what chances did she have with men like Chase and Trent? She'd been humiliated enough to last a lifetime, there was no way she was willing to sign up for more.

Trent leaned forward and put his index finger under her chin, tipping her head up his way.

"What are you thinking about, baby?" he asked softly.

Warmth filled her from his touch and the way his voice got all rumbly and deep when he was being sincere. She shivered at the tingle it brought between her thighs and she squeezed them together, trying to ease the sensation away. She would be lying through her teeth if she didn't admit she liked the feeling they both provoked inside her, though she knew it was wrong. Every nerve in her body longed for their touches and caresses. God, she wanted to crawl across the table and lean into him. Just lay her head on his chest and feel those strong arms wrap around her as he pulled her close. She tried to blame the hangover for her bizarre reactions to him, but deep down...she knew she secretly craved the attention. From both of them. Chase's sweet and calming kindness was easy to fall for, but the desire for Trent's more forceful, dominant attentiveness, was surprising.