Midnight Snacks and Sadness

"Alright it says that we still need one tear," Mal said, reading from the recipe in her spell book. "And we never cry."
        "Let's just chop up some onions," suggested Carlos, holding up an onion from the dozens of crates next to him.
        "No," Marissa told him bluntly. "The spell says that we need one tear of human sadness."
        "And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly," Mal continued.
       Jay rolled his eyes, "A tear's a tear."
       "That's not true, Jay," Evie said, picking up a bag of flour and putting it on the counter. "They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein compared to a reflex tear."
        "Listen to you," Marissa cooed, scooping a cup of flour and putting it into the bowl with the rest of the recipe.
        "Yeah, I knew that," Jay said, trying to amend himself.
         Carlos slapped him lightly in the arm. "Did not." "Did to," Jay argued back.
        Suddenly the door to the kitchen opened, and in walked Lonnie. "There you are Mal!" she said. With quick reflexes, Marissa covered the spell book with a napkin that was sitting nearby. "I've been looking for you. You know all the girls want you to do their hair." She noticed Mal subconsciously stirring the cookie recipe with a whisk. "Midnight snack, huh? What you guys making?"
        "Nothing special," Mal lied. "Just cookies."
         Lonnie dipped her finger into the batter and stuck it her mouth. "No!" All five descendants yelled, fearing what could happen from taking an incomplete love potion.
         She looked at them confused. "What? I'm not gonna double dip."
        "Feel anything?" Marissa asked her cautiously.
        "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal added.
         Jay walked up slowly, and leaned on the metal bar, gazing at Lonnie flirtatiously. "Hey there." Lonnie didn't respond to Jay, pursing her lips in a straight line. She tore her gaze from Jay and looked to Marissa and the others. "Could use some chips," she determined, marching over the refrigerator.
        Jay furrowed his brow. "Chips?"
       The girls let out a sigh of relief, and returned to looking over the batter. "And those are?" Marissa questioned.
       "Chocolate Chips," Lonnie answered, closing the fridge door. "Just the most important food group." The others stared at her, confusion written across their faces. She grabbed a handful from the cup she had grabbed and sprinkled them into the batter. "Wait, didn't your guy's mom's ever make you like chocolate chip cookies?" Mal, Marissa, and Evie watched as the chips sat in the batter, and slowly looked up at Lonnie. "Like when you're feeling sad and there fresh from the oven with a big old glass of milk. And she just makes you laugh and put everything into perspective."
        The Descendants looked at her sadly, their gazes much softer and their eyes a bit glossier. "Why are you all looking at me like that?" Lonnie asked.
         Marissa shook her head, the clutch over her necklace firm. "It's just different where were from."
        "Yeah, I know. I just, you know I thought, even villains love their kids..." Lonnie trailed off slowly, her voice growing quieter. Mal went back to slowly mixing the bowl. Evie shut her eyes. Marissa bit her lip, looking down slightly, while one hand still held tightly to the necklace. Jay slowly caressed his arm with his hand. And Carlos fixed his eyes down at the floor.
         "Oh," Lonnie said, realizing what she had said had been hurtful. "How awful." A single tear ran down her cheek and she put her hand gently over Marissa's for comfort.
        At the feeling of the sudden contact, Marissa looked up and automatically noticed the tear. She swiped it away with her hand and dropped it in the bowl. "Yeah, well big bummer. But we have to get these into the oven. Thank you so much for coming by, have a goodnight, see you tomorrow," she said, pushing Lonnie out of the kitchen. "Evil dreams!"
         "Goodnight," Lonnie said, closing the kitchen door behind her.
          Once she was gone Marissa joined the others back at the counter. Mal turned to them. "Okay, now that that is taken care of, let's get this show on the road. Boys cookie sheets, Marissa keep mixing, and Evie you work on the oven."