6 - touch

sixteen years later

Little Alina was not so little anymore. It was her eighteenth birthday. Hades of course was throwing a grand ball to celebrate. The girl was a nervous wreck. She had never been in the presence of all the Gods.

"Dear you are a princess. You must learn to be calm." Persephone said with a smile. She had taught Alina the ways of a queen. Confidence, grace, Alina thought. But she seemed to shake. There was only one other person who could calm her down and that was Thanatos.

She ran down the halls of the palace but peered into the grand ball room. It just made her shake more. She ran down and bumped into something hard.

"Princess you must watch yourself."

She raised her head at the dark figure.

"Thanatos! I was looking for you!"

She jumped up from the ground. Even in her excitement he could see her shakiness from nerves. She bit her lip. It was on rare occasion that she hugged Thanatos, he was not found of physical touch, but this time she did not hesitate to wrap her arms around him tightly.                                                                  This time he did not hesitate to wrap his arms around her.                                                                                    Her nerves seemed to melt away. 

Thanatos was always unaware of where to place his hands when someone hugged him, which was hardly ever, this time was a little different

Thanatos was always unaware of where to place his hands when someone hugged him, which was hardly ever, this time was a little different. His chest tightened this time. It lasted only a moment before she let go.

"Thank you. "she mumbled.

"No need to be so worried Princess. " He said.

She smiled, "I should be going. See you tonight Thanatos."

She made her way to her room where her dear friend and maid was waiting for her.

"Alina dear you must get ready you only have a couple hours left." Her maid Violet said.

Alina waved her off jokingly and drew herself a bath. This also seemed to help calm herself. She though for a moment about what would happen. She had heard the Gods can be rowdy. That did not worry her. She was worried about becoming Eighteen. She was already a young adult! But she hadn't seen much beyond the Land of the Dead. She had never told anyone about her desires to leave this place. She hadn't even seen Mount Olympus! It seemed she was bound to Hell.

This saddened the princess. She heard read many great things about the world and she wanted to explore it.

First she had to tackle one big obstacle. This stupid ball. Today would be the day she's granted full immortality. Of course her father would want to celebrate this. She begged him not to but he wanted it to be special with the dances and food. Everything. 

Alina bathed quickly and put her silk robe on. She decided that if every handsome Greek God or important DemiGod would be there then she would put some cosmetics on. Her maid obviously wanted to help but Alina was stubborn and wanted her some independence from now on. A soft knock came at the door of her room. Violet went to answer it. 

Queen Persephone could walk in any room and be noticed immediately.

"Mother!" Alina ran to hug her.

"My little Alina! Ah, you are not so little anymore." Persephone hugged her daughter tight. 

Alina giggled with a shrug.

"Now you must hurry the ball with start soon."

"Yes Mother." Alina replied.

Alina had her maid help put her gown on.  A beautiful light gray gown with rubies encrusted on the bust down to her hips and the gown flowing out and down behind her. She let out a giggle as she did a little twirl.

"Oh my dear Alina! How beautiful you are!" Persephone exclaimed.

Alina blushed and put and put her hands back at her sides. After putting the finally touches including her ruby heels, she was ready. Nerves were still present. Her Father would be presenting her at the beginning of the ball. Before the doors opened she hooked her arm with his. 

"Father I'm nervous." She confessed. 

"Don't worry my dear." He said as the doors swung open. 

Hades knew how to throw a grand ball. Alina's favorite flowers, roses, were at every table and strings of crystals and rubies hung from the ceiling. Huge curtains draped the walls. Every section of the room was bedazzled in some sort of decoration. Red and White were the major colors even if Hades insisted on black Persephone convinced him otherwise. All the Gods stopped and turned at Alina and Hades giving them a deep curtsy or bow. Alina squeezed her father's arm tighter. 

She was too busy gawking at the ballroom to notice the Gods bowing before her. He face was almost as red as rubies when she noticed the stares of others. She and Hades continued to walk to the center of the ballroom where the orchestra began playing music  and the waltzed around the center of the room. 

Most immortals love Alina. They never thought Hades could fall in love and have a child. She was like a rare treasure in the the depths of the Underworld. Everyone applauded after they finished their dance. Every God wanted a chance to dance with her. Hades found that Apollo was a little too eager.  

Alina laughed as Apollo twirled her around. A rose appeared in his hand and he placed it in her hand. Hades and Thanatos watched in the corner being that they weren't very sociable. Hades grunted watching his little girl being handled by one of his least favorite God. 

Thanatos quietly strode over, no one daring to stand in his path as he made his way the the middle of the ballroom. 

"May I cut in?" His voice resonated. 

Apollo looked at him eerily but obliged. He handed him her hand before bowing to Alina. She curtsies back at Apollo before turning to Thanatos. She felt a shiver and her cheeks still red. He had gently whisked her away and graceful moved to the music. With one hand on her waist, another holding her hand, they danced. Everyone's gaze looked up from their wine and at the pair. 

Never had Alina seen such behavior out of Thanatos. Persephone couldn't help but gush at her daughter dancing with the tall, dark figure.  Hades seemed startled at Thanatos for his bold move on his daughter.  

He was really thinking when he decided to stride over and take her hand. 

But Alina would never forget.