17 - penance

APOLLO HAD been trying to break into the Underworld for some time now. It was heavily warded and the iron gates chained shut. He assumes Hades had cracked and became far more paranoid than ever before. Her name was etched on his mind for days. His determination got in the way of his thinking as he barged his way into the Land of the Dead. His precious land hadn't been warded against the Gods. It would be far too difficult to bring in souls every minute of every hour. He had a mission too complete. These poor gates wouldn't stand in his way. In the back on his mind he found it concerning. Hades had never shut the Underworld down without reason. The last time he had even closed the gates was unknown to Apollo. It was of utmost importance that he paid visitation to the Underworld. Apollo never stopped until he got what he wanted. This time would be no different. 

He made his way up the cobble steps into the palace. It was much brighter in the Underworld since he last visited. He had no effect on this place like he did in the mortal realm. Yet something felt off to him. He felt as though hundreds of eyes were glancing on him. It made his skin crawl as he made his way right outside the door. A servant girl answered the door right as he knocked.

He paid no attention and walked right through into the hall. He had no worries about getting lost around the huge place. He hurried down the halls looking for the girl. A second number of footsteps echoed behind him causing him to glance behind his shoulder. 

"Eros, I still don't seem to understand how I am the best candidate for this job?" He had said while raising his wrist at him, the iron glistening against his olive skin. 

"You think far too much, fate is at work." Eros said with a throaty chuckle. 

"Oh yes, I'm sure that trio has nothing better to do then make me relive the past over and over." He said throwing his hand in the air. 

Apollo heard the footsteps fast approaching as he searched the palace. The conversation was far too intriguing not to do a bit of eavesdropping. Anger had since bubbled up in him as he had listened to their conversation. There was no use hiding so he continued down the hall, the men trailing unknowingly behind him. 

"Instead of doing penance for your deeds its a way to relieve yourself. You are surely the best for this job. The pair of you are very close, surely your power will be quite similar." Eros said in attempt to give the God some confidence. 

Their conversation had been cut short when they stumbled across Apollo, who had been wandering around the palace halls, peeking around every corner. Eros cleared his throat loudly to alert him of their presence. He turned to them with his arms wide, "Why hello boys! Any clue where our Miss Alina is?" He said with the cockiest grin possible. 

"You came at the wrong time, Apollo. We have business to attend to." Thanatos said, his shadow seeming to grow bigger behind him as he stood tall. 

"Oh? You two? I only wish to speak with her for a moment. Urgent matters between us." He retorted. 

Both Gods couldn't help but roll their eyes at him. His arrogance always seemed to get in the way, even with the humblest of intentions.  Despite being bias against him, Thanatos still felt a bottomless pit of despair when around him. It was an awful gut feeling that he forced himself to keep away. He had to understand how important this could be to Alina and her future. He wouldn't let himself stand in the way of Hades yet again. Joining together the sun God and the child of Hades would be a great deal in Olympus. A tale to become centuries old. He let those thoughts get in the way of what he truly wanted. 

"Down the hall, to the left." Thanatos peered at him, while silently sighing. Eros watched as his shoulder slumped forward, acting as though he'd been defeated. Apollo smiled, "Then I'm off." They looked as he turned on his heels and down the hall. 

When he became out of sight Eros slapped Thanatos on the arm, "Please explain why in the Underworld you did that?" He said exasperated. 

"Do you not understand? He is far more important than I. This is the biggest deal in the Underworld right now. Not Hypnos and his dreams, not the fact that Persephone is back. No, Alina and her engagement to Eros. You should know that." Thanatos felt his hands clench together as he took a breath. 

They stood silent for a moment. Power and anger surged through him but he took another breath. 

"Then why does it bother you so much?" Eros said, breaking the silence. 

"I'm not continuing this conversation." Thanatos said abruptly. 

Before he could walk away Eros gripped his shoulder. "Thanatos please listen. Alina told me herself that she wouldn't marry him unless I felt it was a match. I can't say that I would. Tell me the truth." Eros dropped his hand and looked at him. His emotions were running high, he could tell. 

"There is nothing to tell." 

"Is is jealousy? Hate? Love? I can't tell so easy with you." Eros had tried his best to assist both Alina and Thanatos hoping they would see the path the Fates so easily wove for them. No, they continued to stray farther and farther away. 

"Eros, please, I am not another person to throw an arrow at. Can't you see? Alina is far too important to be wasted on me."  Eros was left standing in the dimly lit hall to watch his friend disappear within the shadows.