Football and The Divide

Waking up on Boxing Day, I'm excited. I'm going to see my football team play and it's been a long time since it was last year. Following them on television and the Internet wasn't enough.

I was going with Stan because it was our thing, and Boxing Day football was just great. Who know what could happen?

"Come on, Lou!" He shouts frustrated, at the bottom of the stairs and I rush out of the room, eager to go. "Finally."

"Okay, okay," I say, pushing him. "Let's go!"

We leave, wrapped warm in our coats and blue and white scarfs, and drive up to the football pitch. It wasn't the largest but I loved it regardless.

Loud sounds of men fill the air, banter all around us and my chest fills with excitement. It's been too long.

The match goes great. We win, of course, and me and Stan go insane. We take stupid pictures of ourselves and go back to my place to chill out, before he goes back to his house.

Sitting myself in my room late in the evening, I get a picture message from Harry. It's a picture of him and a woman, and by the features I would say it was his mother. She hugs him around his middle, as they're sitting at a table and both mouths are open with large smiles. He doesn't include a message so I sent a picture of me and Stan back, both of us at the game, with red noses and grinning faces.

I wish I could talk to him again. But wouldn't that be weird?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to a phone call. My eyes try to open as I grab at my mobile, slapping against the hard wood of the side table. Feeling it, I answer with eyes closed.

"'Ello?" I slur, throat full of sleep. What time even is it?

"Mr. Tomlinson?" A voice says, and I sit bolt upright. One of the guys from management. I recognise his voice.

"Yeah, speaking," I reply, mouth able to move now.

"Glad to grab you," He says. "We need a meeting, and I need it to be tomorrow."

Tomorrow?!

"I'm in Doncaster."

"We know," He explains. How? "If you drive back for 2pm tomorrow, there's something important we need to discuss."

"I-okay," I say, confused. "I'll try."

"Thank you, see you tomorrow."

He hangs up.

What could that possibly mean? It sets me on edge. What else could they do to us?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Approaching door number 20 the next day at exactly 2pm, I knock and enter. I've been nervous all morning. It took me 4 hours to get here, and I'm a little tired.

I spot all four of the people I've seen before, and also see Harry.

He looks over at me, and my insides flutter at seeing him for the first time in a week. His hair is soft and brushed away, his eyes light up his face and his lips curl in a small smile, which I gladly return.

"Please take a seat," The woman asks, and I comply. "Thank you."

"Hey." Harry says quietly next me, smiling gently.

"Hi." I reply, sure I'm blushing hard. What he does to me.

"You're probably wondering why we've got you here, especially after Christmas," The man I front of me says, and he's right. I am wondering. "We need to tell you something."

The other man grabs my attention by moving a little.

"We've decided to end the contract 6 months earlier than scheduled." He says.

Wait. What?

My ears start to ring. Did I just hear that correctly? I try to compose myself as my heart tries to rip itself from my chest.

From the way Harry's head whips round to look at me, I did hear that correct.

"What? Why?" Harry exclaims. I can't speak. I'm numb from trying to avoid the pain in my heart.

"We think it's time it finished," Another man says. "And well done boys, you did really well."

We did really well? I wasn't trying.

I'm in love with this man, you've ruined my life! I'm never going to see him again.

We can't be friends with benefits because of me being in love with him, so there is no chance I'll feel him kiss me. Feel him hold me. Spend time with him and laugh.

I have to get out of here. I need to. I can't break down here, not in front of these people. Not in front of Harry.

"We need to talk to Mr. Styles," The woman says, looking down at me. "You can leave now. Thank you for all you've done."

I stay seated. I can't move. My body feels like it's on fire and everyone is just watching me burn.

"Mr. Tomlinson?"

Jerking my head around at the voice, I manage to stand up, pushing up weakly. The voices sound so muffled in my ears, almost like I'm about to faint, but I don't.

I can't believe I fell in love with him.

I take one last look before closing the door, wishing I hadn't. Harry looks back at me with his mouth open in shock, and my eyes don't leave his until the door closes gently.

The pain in my heart rips free and my breath feels like acid. I can't do this. Not here.

Anywhere but here.