I have never been the type of person who welcomed controversy or drama into my life. I realize that in our world, however, sometimes it is hard to avoid. In my case, no one could have seen what was about to unfold. I am getting a little ahead of myself, though, so I'm going to back it up just a little.

My name is Kara Baker. My sister Paige and I live in a small town in Virginia. We were orphaned the year I turned 18, when our parents were killed in a plane crash on their way to visit friends out west. Being the older sister, I had to grow up pretty quick, finding full time work to keep a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food in our stomachs. I never got the chance to continue my education by applying to college, but my sister was fortunate enough to get the opportunity. After graduating two years early (we were in the same graduating class), she got through college mainly on grants, but in the end she graduated with a degree, which helped her to get a great job working as a receptionist at the local hospital. Life was pretty good for the Baker sisters.

The same year our parents died, Paige met Adam Harris. He was a senior too, but he went to a rival school. They met at a football game (he was on the opposing team, she was a cheerleader) and were inseparable after that. I didn't think the relationship would go anywhere after graduation, but three years later, Adam is still very much in our lives. Am I jealous? Hardly. Paige is absolutely gorgeous, was always popular, very well-liked, and was never seen without a guy on her arm. Me, on the other hand, I was the nerd, the girl who was always studying, made time for friends when I could, but wasn't in any rush to find a boyfriend. I know you're probably thinking I consider myself too ugly, but that isn't the case. I'm sure there were people who would have called me the "DUFF" of my friends, but that was just a dumb label, and labels never bothered me. Have I dated since high school? Yes, but since I had to take care of myself and my sister, my longest relationship lasted about six months. The only guys I have been close to since then are Luke Parker, who has been my best friend since we were two, and Adam, and surprisingly I'm okay with that. 

Flash forward back to the present day, and life has calmed down a lot for Paige and me. We both still work, but we have a little more free time these days. My days are usually spent hanging out with Luke and his sister Jamie, and when Paige isn't attached too Adam's hip, she can be found clubbing with her two besties, Sasha Allen and Lexi Miller. When we don't feel like going out, the seven of us will just hang at the house watching movies or enjoying dinner. We're like a great big family, which is a feeling Paige and I have somewhat missed since the death of our parents. 

On the day my story begins, Paige was out with Sasha and Lexi, leaving me home alone with Adam. I called up Luke to see what he and Jamie were up to, not because I felt uncomfortable being alone with my sister's boyfriend, but because I thought we'd have more fun with four instead of two. Unfortunately, the Parker siblings were out of town for a few days visiting their aunt and uncle. I made my way into the living room to see what Adam was up to, and to my surprise he was reading a book. I didn't feel like staying in that day, so I asked him if he'd like to go to lunch with me.

"Where were you thinking of going?" he asked.

"I didn't actually have anywhere particular in mind," I admitted. "I was just going to drive around, see if anything caught my eye...and my appetite." 

"I'm in," Adam replied. "Beats sitting around the house all day."

"You were reading," I said. "You MUST be bored." 

Adam laughed. "I actually enjoy reading."

"Well then," I replied. "You really DO learn something new every day. Would you care to drive or are you alright with letting a woman drive?" 

"You can drive," he said. "The only reason I drive when I'm with Paige is because she sucks at driving. But that's between you and me."

"My lips are sealed," I promised. "Besides, that's nothing new. I've known for a while that she's a horrible driver. Why do you think I never let her drive when we're together?" Adam just smiled and opened the door for me as we made our way out to the car. We drove around for about an hour before we finally found a place that both of us enjoyed. Lunch was absolutely delicious, and we sat there for what seemed like hours (but it was really only two) talking and sharing stories, having a great time. When the waitress brought us our bill, I went to reach for it, but being the gentleman that he is, Adam grabbed it first. I gave him the evil eye, but that didn't stop him from paying for lunch. We got back out to the car and I thanked him for picking up the tab.