Adam very rarely ever leaves my side, especially since we live together, but one week before his birthday (he was born in March) his father decided to take him out of town for the weekend. He would be gone three whole days, and he was more worried about it than I was. Luke had finally been cleared by his doctors to go back to work and he was out of town on business. Jamie was on her world adventure, and Paige and Chris were busy with Sara, so he was worried about leaving me alone. I reminded him that he had two parents, so I wouldn't be alone, but apparently his mom was going to visit a friend out of town, so that really left me by myself. 

"I'll ask Dad if you can tag along," he suggested.

"I'll be fine, sweetheart," I assured him. "I'm a big girl. It's only three days."

"You say that now, but what if something happens?" he asked. "You'll be all alone with no one to call."

"Accidents happen, I get it, but I will be just fine," I repeated.

"There has to be someone else that you can call IF something happens," Adam said.

"Actually, there is," I told him. "IF a problem arises, and I need someone to keep me company or, God forbid, take me to the hospital, I can call Lexi."

"Are you sure she'd help you?" Adam asked.

"Absolutely," I smiled. "She and I have been getting closer lately, even if we haven't actually hung out yet. We've been texting and calling and just getting to know each other a little better. She is definitely the most mature of Paige's friends."

"That makes me feel a little better," he admitted. "I'll go finish packing. Dad said he was coming to pick me up at noon."

We made our way upstairs and Adam continued on to his bedroom while I turned off into my own. Just as I made my way through the doorway, I felt a surge of dizziness hit me. I don't know why, but I figured if I laid down for a bit it might help...it didn't. The moment my head hit the pillow, I jumped up like a shot and raced for the bathroom. Unbeknownst to me, Adam had finished packing and was standing in the bathroom doorway.

"I'm calling my dad and cancelling this trip," he said. "This is the third day in a row you've been sick. Don't you think you should go get checked out? It could be the flu or something."

"Don't cancel your trip because of this," I told him. "I'll be fine. It may have just been something I ate."

"For three days, Kara? I doubt that," he replied. "Let me take care of you, please?"

"I appreciate the sentiment," I said as I got ready to brush my teeth. "But you and your dad never get much bonding time. Just go on your trip, ok? If it makes you feel better, I will call Lexi and see if she can take me to the doctor."

"That would definitely ease my mind," he agreed. "Are you sure you'll be alright?"

"This isn't the first time I've been sick, darling," I smiled, hearing a honk outside. "Sounds like your dad is here. Go. Have fun. I will be fine, I promise."

"I'll see you on Sunday," he said, giving me a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," I said as he walked out of the room.

Keeping my promise to Adam, I picked up my phone and dialed Lexi's number. She answered on the first ring. I explained to her what was going on, specifically the part where Adam asked me to get checked out. She was more than happy to help and told me she would be at my place in about 10 minutes. I finished brushing my teeth, pulled my hair back in a pony tail, and slipped into some comfortable clothes before making my way downstairs. The moment I heard Lexi's car pull up, I locked up behind me and hopped into the front seat.