Christmas that year was very quiet for us. Adam's parents had gone to visit family in Florida, Paige and Chris took their crew to South Carolina to visit his uncle, and Luke was with family in Pennsylvania. Jamie had gone back overseas, so it was just the three of us. After the Thanksgiving Day we had, it was a very welcomed day of relaxation. Adam got up early and made us breakfast while I made sure Kayla got her fill of food. When we had all finished eating, we exchanged our gifts and then spent the rest of the day watching Christmas movies and playing with our daughter. For dinner that night, we decided to order out, and since we only had a choice between the diner and Chinese food, we settled for Chinese. For me, it was one of the best Christmases I had experienced in a while.

We rang in the New Year alone, too. All of our friends and family had decided to stay where they were until after the holidays were completely over. Could I blame them? Not at all. Who wants to fight all that traffic when you could be enjoying quality family time? By the middle of January, everyone but Luke was back home and ready to make plans with us. Since we hadn't seen Adam's parents since October, we made them first priority. Since we had missed Friday night dinner, we invited them to join us that Sunday for a nice, home-cooked meal. As I was preparing dinner, I happened to look at the calendar and realized it had been exactly a year since I almost lost my best friends in an accident (and our daughter was conceived). I had promised myself I wouldn't get upset, since they both survived, but I am a seriously emotional person, so I did slip up. Adam walked in and noticed right away that something was bothering me.

"What's going on, buttercup?" he asked.

"Nothing," I said, wiping my face. "I was chopping up onions, that's all."

"You were not," he said. "I know you better than that. What's going on?"

"I just got a little emotional, that's all," I told him. "It's really nothing. I promise."

"Emotional about what?" he asked.

"A year ago today, our little miracle was conceived," I said.

"After a night of hell," Adam concluded. "They both survived, honey. We should be thankful, not upset."

"You're right," I smiled. "I can't help that I'm a highly emotional person, though."

"Is dinner almost ready?" he asked, changing the subject.

"It sure is," I said. "Your parents should be here soon, shouldn't they?"

"I think I just heard them pull up," he admitted. "That's why I asked."

"I'll get the table ready while you go and get the door," I said. 

Once Tom and Diane had enjoyed their fill of Kayla love, we all took a seat at the table to enjoy our meal. Kayla started whining almost immediately, so I excused myself to go and take care of her. After checking her diaper, I sat down in the recliner and made sure she got her dinner. Have I ever mentioned that my daughter can eat??? After what seemed like forever, she finally let go so I could burp her and then I laid her back down in her pack and play. When I rejoined the family, they were talking about babies (surprise, surprise). 

"So Kara, Adam was just telling us that you had the privilege of delivering yet another baby," Diane said.

"It wasn't planned, believe me," I replied. 

"Have you ever thought of becoming a nurse?" Tom asked.

"Actually, I have," I smiled. "And not just because I delivered two of my sister's kids."

"If you're serious about it, we'd be more than happy to help you out with tuition," Diane said. "And our granddaughter, of course."

"That's a really generous offer," I replied. "I will seriously consider it."