Chapter Four - Had hell frozen over

Melissa P.O.V.

The rest of the week went by quickly and before I knew it, I was being called into the Principal's office to discuss how Jake's tutoring sessions have gone. Surprisingly, I had nothing but good things to say about him. After our initial meeting, where he had tried to charm me, he'd buckled down and done the work himself. The last couple days he'd been brooding and moody, but he'd still done his school work. To be honest, I was proud of him, but when I tried to tell him that all I received was a death glare.

"Do you believe that Jake would continue to benefit from your tutoring sessions?" Principle Higgins asked and the football coach sat forward in his seat, eagerly waiting for my reply. Jake slouched down in his chair with a bored expression.

I spoke carefully, not wanting to step on any toes, "I think that Jake is smart enough to do everything on his own, but..." All eyes were on me and Jake no longer looked bored. He looked like he was about to get pissed. I continued anyway, "I don't know if Jake would have the ambition on his own. If it doesn't have anything to do with football, he can't seem to remain focused for long without some prodding. I think you need to let him back on the field, but also continue his tutoring sessions."

"Miss Stone, did you develop a crush on Mr. Kline? Is that why you want to continue?" Coach Rayne asked.

"Excuse me?" I asked, incredulous.

Principle Higgins sat up straighter, "That is an inappropriate question, Coach."

"I'll answer it for you though." Jake spoke for the first time. "Melissa Stone is the only female in this building who is capable of shunning my charming advances. So to answer your questions, no Miss Stone has not developed a crush on me."

I frowned, "Why do you sound so disgruntled about it? Don't you have enough girls kissing your feet?"

Jake leaned forward, so he was practically nose to nose with me and smiled, "Maybe I want only you kissing my feet from now on. Although I could think of a lot of other places on the body where kissing is more fun."

For the first time ever, I felt a fluttering in my stomach that told me that Jake was getting to me. His damn cocky arrogance didn't even get on my nerves as much as it used to. I turned to Principle Higgins, "I think it would be wise to continue Jake's tutoring, but with a different peer tutor."

Jake chuckled, "I'm getting to you, aren't I, Stone?"

"That's enough Mr. Kline." Principle Higgins snapped. "Miss Stone, I'm going to have to insist that you continue tutoring Mr. Kline. He appears to have improved scholastically, with your guidance and I don't want to mess up a good thing. You two will have to work out a time and place to continue your tutoring sessions, as Jake will be returning to football practice on Monday. You will still be required to sit out during tonight's game, as originally discussed."

Jake slumped back down into his chair, leaned his head back, and stared at the ceiling. He was shutting us out. An invisible wall had been put up around him. He might think that none of us could see it, but I could. The coach and principle kept talking, while I sat and watched Jake. I wondered if he heard them or if he had truly blocked us all out. I almost wanted to test him, maybe pretend to come onto him or something, to see if he was paying attention, but decided against it. He'd take me seriously and there is no way in hell I was prepared to follow through on a flirting escapade with Jacob Kline.

"You kids are free to go. We'll leave it up to you two to schedule tutoring times and we'll meet during study hall again next Friday to discuss progress. This means that if you don't show up, Mr. Kline, Miss Stone will be forced to rat you out." Principle Higgins said sternly.

I fell in love with a nerdजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें