Chapter 12

"Elyssa~" Alice's voice rang. "Yes?" Elyssa replied, drying her hair with her back turned to Alice. The Queen jumped up, hugging her from behind, feel her warmth and scent wrap around her. "I'm bored," she mumbled. Elyssa smiled, finishing drying her hair and threw her towel onto the bed. "Want me to take down to the town again? I just need some money." Alice giggled, putting her head on Elyssa's shoulder. "I'm the queen, I think I can provide the money."

"You'll have to disguise yourself. Don't want everyone to know the queen is roaming around the village without any protect."

"But I have you."

Elyssa raised her hand up in defeat. "Fine, you win, but at least wear some clothes to fit in, don't want extra attention on you." Alice sighed, unwrapping her arms around her and went into the closet, then poked her head out. "Um, what kind of clothes?" Elyssa just laughed. "I have some clothes, I'll be right back."

Elyssa came back with a pair of clothes and a cloak. They left the castle, Alice brining along some copper and silver coins, and only a few gold coins. Alice insisted to bring a lot more gold, but Elyssa shook her head to it, telling her would be way too much for the village. Instead, she brought a lot of silver. "Where to first?" Alice said, looking around at the shops.

Elyssa took a look around, feeling a pang in her heart. The queen turned to her, noticing the lights dim in her eyes. "Something wrong?" Elyssa blinked a few times, then shook her head, giving her a crooked smile. "I'm fine. Just some..." She took a deep breath, "-old memories." Alice looked down, then rubbed the side of Elyssa's arm, comforting her. "Elyssa dear, we can go back if you want to."

She shook her head. "It's ok. Let's go look at that shop!" She said, pulling the queen over by her hand. They arrived at a beautiful flower stand with an old women behind the counter, smiling weakly at the pair. "Welcome," she said with a fragile voice, "-please have a look around." Alice smiled, hearing the kindness in her voice, something she hasn't heard outside the castle beside Elyssa's.

"Aren't these beautiful?" Elyssa asked, holding up some roses. They were like snow covered roses, white and elegant. Alice took a look around, then found a unfamiliar flower, the pedals were big, the tips faded from white to pink. "Look at these, they smell fantastic!" They spent a few minutes around the stand, looking at every flower that caught their attention, then begin to leave.

"Wait, let me do something real quick!" Elyssa said, turning back. Alice nodded, turning her head back to the village. She could see children running, playing tag or fighting with wooden swords. The scents here were different from the castle, it was more full of life.

Laughter from the paths where children played, the gossip from mothers, the talk of new with the business men, and scolding of grandmothers to be careful. The castle was so empty, dead. Only the sound of faint footsteps, the stale scent of fresh furniture.

She looked around until she saw a young boy admiring a clock in a wood shop. His eyes glistened with excitement as he brought his mother to the clock, asking her if she could buy it. The mother asked the man something, then frowned. The boy's eyes turned sad, as he began to cry, his mother squatting down to comfort him, rubbing his back.

The mother stood back up, asking the man again. The man crossed his arms and shook his head. She looked at the boy sadly, putting her hand on his back. She wants her son to be happy. A mother would do anything for her child's happiness, even lose her life. Alice blinked back the tears, feeling her heart twist at the memories of her mother. How her mother had wanted her just to smile.

Quickly, she went up to the wood shop, motioning the hand to the clock the boy had been looking at. "How much for that clock?" She asked. He grunted. "17 silvers."