Chapter 16

"Your presence is requested in the throne room," Jack said, finding Elyssa in the middle of her training. "What for?" She asked, wiping away sweat from her forehead. It had been a few days since the fight, Edward acted like a ghost and barley left his room. Rumors had it that he was ill or that he was overwhelmed with work. Elyssa thought differently.

"He hadn't said. He just told me to find you." The trainee raised an eyebrow, turning to her former pack member. "When did you work for Edward? Didn't you hate his guts?" Jack blinked numbly, then replied with "I have had a change of heart." His eyes seemed different, lifeless. What did Edward do to him. "Now if you excuse me, I must do more errands," he said as he lowered his head and left.

Elyssa met the still emptiness of the throne room. Both thrones stood there, it's designs glistened from the light of the sun that was shining through the window. She glanced around the room, her mind running with ideas and questions. Why had he wanted to see her? Was it the fight? Did he actually remember?

"Elyssa," Edward's voice came from behind. The trainee turned her head to meet Edward's gaze, cool and calm. She lowered her head at the presence of the king, even if she hated every moment of it. "I'm glad you could make it," he said, slowly making his way to his throne. "You seem tired. Training I presume?"

"What do you want?"

Edward placed his hand in his chest, acting hurt by her words. "You sound so harsh, my dear. Honestly I forgot why I summoned you here." Elyssa hardened her glare, careful with what she says. "Then may I go back to training, your highness?" Edward chuckled. "No no no, I need you here." He stared at her for a second, then grinned.

"Kneel for me, Elyssa." She looked at him with shock. "What?" Edward lifted his chin, looking down on her. "Kneel before your king. Show me I have nothing to worry about, that I can trust you." And all she had to do for that was kneel in front of him? He's lying. "Kneel for your king!" The volume of his voice caused her to jump, then kneeled.

"I can see why my beloved wife would have wanted you as a guard," he said, getting up from his chair and started to walk around her. "You seem strong. Perhaps you got it from your mother. What a shame she is dead." He's messing with you. Don't let him get to you. Anger and sadness welled in her stomach, clenching her fist until it became white.

"You serve the queen very well, why do you wish to become a knight?"

"I want to be able to protect as well, your highness." Don't get on his bad side. "You do know that if you wish to become a knight, especially one for royalty, you would have to pledge your undoubtedly loyalty to me." Elyssa nodded, her stomach churning at the thought. She'd have to pledge her life for the king and queen. Anything for Alice, right?

Edward grinned. "So let me introduce a new friend of mine. Jack!" He called out, "bring him in!" The sound of the door slamming open caused her to lift her head and look at what caused the noise.

Jack stood in the doorway, pushing a young man forward. He was the one who talked about the rebellion! "My dear friend here," Edward said as Jack shoved the man towards the center of the room, in between Elyssa and the King. "Had wanted to rebel against me. A poor choice indeed, don't you think?" He asked, turning his attention from the man to Elyssa.

Numbly, she nodded. She couldn't do anything to save the man, or it'll raise suspicion. She can't show any trace of her acquaintance with the young man. "What is your name boy?"

"Robin," he spat, struggling against the ropes that tied his hands together. "You can't hold me forever. Your townspeople are gathering to dethrone you," he said, his eyes burning. What had Edward done to fill this boy with hatred. "My townspeople love me," Edward said with a scoff. "They'll listen to anything I say. I'll execute every one of them if they don't."

Robin's expression stayed the same, fire burned in his unusual green eyes. "They'll do whatever it takes, just ask her," he said, motioning his head towards Elyssa. For a second her heart stopped, Edward's eyes landed on hers, filled with curiosity and a hint of amusement. "Of course, what does he mean by that Elyssa?"

She's dead. Her head'll roll down the hill along with all the other victims that had been caught in his webs. "I don't know what he's talking about, Edward."

"King Edward!"

"King Edward," she corrected.

"Young Robin, why do you think my knight in training would know about your 'rebellion'?" Robin stared at her in shock. Please understand Robin, she pleaded silently. His eyes softened and glanced down. The fire in his eyes had been put out. "I'm sorry, I mistook her for someone else, forgive me."

Edward let out a Hmpft. "This is what'll happen if you dare to go against my ruling," he said with a smirk. With a nod of his head, Robin was dragged out of the throne room, screaming and yelling out for the dethrone of Edward.

"I absolutely hate dealing with pests like this," he added as the door slammed shut. "What a shame, he would have became a great guard for the castle."

"What'll become of him now?" Elyssa asked, slightly worried for the young man. "He'll be hanged of course."

Hanged? Elyssa's heart dropped. How would the townspeople dethrone Edward? How will they get rid of him? "Is that all, your highness?" A small smiled crept across his face. "You've grown polite. Good. You must respect the king. That'll be all for now." With a nod, Elyssa stood up and left the room. After assuring that Edward wasn't following her, she broke into a run.