Revelations

XXX

I heard soft, rhythmic beeping to my right and felt a soft cloth covering my body. It took me a moment to process the situation, but I finally remembered and understood. I was in the hospital, unable to move or speak or do much else than listen to my surroundings. I listened even harder, and I heard what sounded like shaky breaths and someone mumbling to themselves.

". . . fucking coma . . . four days ago you were fine . . . lose you . . . please . . ."

It was Max. I wanted so badly to tell him that I was okay, that I could hear him and that everything would be just fine. That I was sorry. Unfortunately, my body wouldn't allow me to do this. I was stuck. Motionless, voiceless . . . comatose. There was nothing I could do but listen.

Max's hand slowly moved onto the bed and grasped mine. I could feel him shaking. His words were slow and it seemed like he was struggling to get them out of his system. "I should be the one in that bed... you deserve to be out here more than I do... God. I should've told you sooner..."

Told me sooner? Told me what?

"Mitchie, just please wake up... please... I need you... I... I-I love you..." Please tell me I heard that correctly. "I love you so much. I don't know what I'm gonna do without you... come back..." With this he dissolved into tears.

I always assumed being in a coma would be peaceful, that you wouldn't have to worry about anything, but no. This is absolute torture. If we're being quite honest, I loved him too. I was just afraid to say anything because I thought he had his sights set on another girl. Now I'm unable to tell him that I love him as well. Now he'll never be able to know how much he meant to me. If only I would've taken the damn main road.

His grip tightened on my left hand when someone walked into the room. His mother spoke up after a silent moment. "Max, are you sure you don't want anything to eat? You haven't eaten a single thing since you got here."

"I'm fine, mom"

"It's been four days since-"

I said I'm fine. Just... drop it. Please."

I had been in a coma for 4 days,

Max hadn't eaten in 4 days,

His heart's been broken for 4 days,

I'd been making his life Hell for 4 days.