A Trip Down Memory Lane

XXX

We rode up the elevator to the fifth floor and walked to the room that was all too familiar to both of us. I tried to stop my hands from shaking, but I could only do so much. We were told to wait while they monitored her for another 15 minutes. As short of a time that it was, it felt like a day and a half. I had to get up and walk around a bit so I wouldn't lose my mind.

After what felt like an eternity, we were allowed to enter the room. I dashed in and layed my eyes on her. She looked only slightly different, her hair a bit longer, but she was as beautiful as she had always been. A strand of her copper hair was in her face so I tucked it behind her ear. The corners of her mouth twitched when I touched her, and a small noise came from her throat. I smiled, trying to choke back the tears that were threatening to spill from my eyes.

All I wanted in that moment was to see her stunning blue eyes and hear the prominent Louisiana drawl in her voice.

And that's exactly what I got.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, revealing the ocean blue that I had been craving the sight of for four years. She focused on the ceiling for a moment before turning her head towards me and smiling the smallest of smiles. I could no longer hold back my tears. So many years of built up emotions and suppressed memories hit me like a ton of bricks, and I began sobbing. Tears started to form in Mitchie's eyes as I stooped down and wrapped my arms around her.

"You're okay... oh, God. You're okay..." I mumbled between sobs. She chuckled and gently wrapped her arms around my neck. "Can't get rid of me that easy, sugar," she said quietly, her accent thicker than it used to be. "I missed you so much... you have no idea how much I wanted to just hold you and do the things we used to do and..." I got so choked up that I had to stop talking. "We can do all that now, cher. Quit your cryin'! I'm okay," she said, running a hand through my hair. "That's exactly why I'm crying!"I said, laughing a bit. She sighed and said something I couldn't understand. "What was that?" I asked, smoothing her hair.

"I said I love you, Max"

I love you, Max

I love you, Max

I love you, Max

Her words echoed through my head over, and over, and over. I love you, Max. I wasn't sure if she really said it, or if I was just imagining it out of desperation. I love you, Max.

"S-Say that again?"

"I love you. Geez, did you lose your hearing while I was under?"

So I wasn't imagining it. She actually does love me. "I love you too. I love you so, so, so, so, so, so much. God, I love you, Mitchie," I said, unraveling myself from her and looking into her eyes. Her sparkling, beautiful eyes that I fell in love with all those years ago. "I'm so happy you came back, sug. I missed you," she remarked, caressing my cheek with her thumb. Her sweet, gentle touch was calming to me, and I nudged my face into her hand, earning a small giggle from her. God, I missed that sound.

I hadn't even noticed the nurse that was in the room until she spoke up. "If it's no trouble, I need to speak with the two of you out in the hall for just a moment," he said, motioning to me and my mom, who was smiling behind me. "Yea, of course," I sighed, following my mom into the hall, the nurse right behind us. He shut the door behind himself and took a deep breath.

"Considering the fact that Ms. Gideon has no family on any form of record, we ask that you sign the release forms for her. Although she is presently an adult, she was only 16 at the time of the incident. We're not sure of the extent of the damage, so if she shows any odd or out of the ordinary behaviour, the brain damage caused by the crash is the most likely cause of it. If the damage is extremely serious, you can bring her back and get her checked out free of charge," the nurse clarified, a cheery expression on his face. How could someone be happy about anything like this?

"Thank you. If it's okay, I'd like to sign the papers immediately," my mom said. The nurse nodded and ran off to grab the necessary papers. I walked back into Mitchie's room and saw her admiring herself in a small mirror. I don't blame her, she's absolutely gorgeous.

"Hey there, Freckles," I almost whispered. She smiled when I said this, rolling her eyes a bit. "I can't believe you still remember that stupid nickname," she chuckled. "Oh, I remember lots of things. I remember the name you gave me," I commented, sitting down in a chair next to the bed. She bit her lip in thought, attempting to recall the memory. Upon remembering, she smiled and shook her head. "You're such a dork, Zed," she smiled. I smiled back and laughed a bit.

At least she still had her memory.