24. Protecting her from Nikki

Declan's POV

This had to be the worst feeling I had ever experienced. The guilt that swarmed me for lying to Goldi was killing me inside.

But I didn't have a choice.

I had to protect her.

I slowly grabbed Goldi's phone off of the nightstand as she slept and typed Nikki's phone number into my phone.

I made my way back into the bed and Goldi immediately cuddled up to me. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into my chest. She let out a small noise that made my shorts tighten.

All this girl had to do was say the word and I would be all over her but I held back. She wasn't ready and frankly, neither was I. She was the world to me and I didn't want to ruin what we had by moving too quickly with her.

Not to mention, I felt like complete shit for keeping this secret from her. I needed to get Nikki's life together and fast so I could focus on my relationship with Goldi. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with this girl. She was the center of my universe now.

Every choice I made was now solely based on her best interest and I would go to the ends of the earth if it meant making her happy.

-the next morning-

We had just got done working out and Goldi was in the shower so I quickly made breakfast and set out the plates on the table. I heard her small feet pat their way to the bedroom and then come into the kitchen. I gave her a smile when she came into view. She returned it and then sat down next to me.

"Would it kill you to make waffles one of these days?" She whined. I laughed and then shook my head.

"No, but it would kill you. Slowly but it would kill you." I replied. She rolled her eyes but then started eating her egg white omelet. As we ate, we talked about what our plans were for the day.

"I have classes and then I have an eight hour work shift tonight." She said, disappointment clear in her voice.

"Are you going to stay at the dorms tonight or here?" I asked, a little worried that she might say here. I needed to get to Nikki today and start working on the situation. I wasn't sure how long it would take or what it would all entail.

The situation with Nikki brought back memories of my street fighting days. Just thinking about all of my friends that I had that were on drugs back then made me sick to my stomach. Too many of them ended up dead.

I couldn't let that happen to Nikki.

"The dorms since they are closer and I'm going to be exhausted." She said and then took another bite of her food.

"Do you want to go on a date tomorrow night?" I asked. She looked up from her plate and smiled.

"I would love that." She said excitedly and then focused on her food again.

"Good, we can meet here and then go out." After we got done eating, she left to go to her class. As soon as I heard the front door close, I grabbed my phone and called Nikki.

"Hello?" Her voice was shaky as she answered.

"Hey, it's Declan."