25. Protecting her from canceling

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to cookie_holic_99 for commenting and voting like an awesome reader! Thank you!

::

Crystal's POV

"Crystal, I have to go, can you handle locking up?" Cindy asked.

"Sure." I answered. There was only one customer left and then I could start cleaning up.

"Alright, see you tomorrow." Cindy called as she walked out. I went over to the cash register and printed out a receipt and brought it over to the woman sitting by herself.

"I'll be your cashier at the table when you're ready." I said as I set the receipt down on the table. She looked up at me with her brown eyes and then gave a small smile.

"Here you go, I don't need any change." She said and handed me cash. I took it and quickly rung out her order on the register. My phone went off in my apron so I pulled it out to see who it was.

Declan:

Hey, I have to cancel our plans for tomorrow night. My dad set up a promotion deal and just told me about it. I'm sorry. Love you.

I tried not to be disappointed but I couldn't help it. I was really looking forward to going on a date. I wanted to have just one good date with him without it ending with some sort of drama. I typed back a reply quickly and then slipped my phone back into my pocket.

"Are you alright?" The young woman asked. I realized the customer was standing at the counter, staring at me.

"Oh, ah, yeah, I'm fine." I answered awkwardly. She flipped her black hair behind her shoulder and then smiled.

"Boy troubles?" She asked.

"How did you-"

"I've had my fair share of heartbreak. I know a girl struggling with a boy when I see one." She said, still smiling. I sighed and decided that I would probably never see this woman ever again so why not unload my worries?

"My boyfriend canceled our date tomorrow night."

"Oh man, that sucks."

"Yeah, I'm just disappointed because every time we have gone out, it's been ruined by something and now he's canceling this one. I just wanted to finally have a great night with him." I explained. She nodded and seemed deep in thought for a moment.

"Why did he cancel?" She asked.

"He has a meeting, I guess." She rose an eyebrow.

"Look, I don't want to get involved or worry you for no reason but I've heard that excuse before." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What do you mean? Wait, you think he might be...?" I didn't want to finish that question.

"Cheating?" She shrugged her shoulders before continuing. "In my opinion, it sure sounds like a generic excuse to me." I felt my heart sink into my gut.

"No...no, he wouldn't do that." I said, trying to assure myself more than the woman in front of me.

"You know, you're probably right. I just overanalyze everything." She said as she flipped her hand in the air. I couldn't bring myself to talk anymore. I had a sour taste in my mouth and no matter how many times I swallowed, it wasn't going away.