A Little Too Late

Jim went back inside the house, the silence of the place and the feeling of not having Mayim with him anymore just breaks him. He stared at the couch and reminisced the times they were playing video games and watching together. He turned off the television to ease his agony.

As he was about to go upstairs to their room, he sighted the ingredients laid on the kitchen island. He walked to the kitchen as his heart prickled.

They were about to prepare a salad for the two of them — together, but then she's now gone and it pains him to think how uncertain he is if they could ever do the things they used to do again.

He held the ball of lettuce, she touched this lettuce, she touched this tomatoes. He smiled softly as he recalled but then he decided to just make a salad for one continuing what they planned to do together — alone.

Mayim finally broke down in the car as she sat beside Beverly.

"Why are you crying?" She asked, Mayim used her hands to wipe her tears. "Nothing. I'm just sad." She replied. "Get yourself together. You wouldn't want your dad to see you fresh from sobbing."

"Mom, are you mad at Jim?" She asked. "Should I be?" She replied vaguely. "I think you should know the story behind her and Kaley bec-"

"I know it already." Beverly cuts in slightly surprising her. "Really?" She asked.

"That Kaley was her ex but they are really through and what I saw was a misunderstanding. He talked to me about that already and I knew he wasn't lying." She summarized.

"You knew?" Mayim wondered. "Yes." She confirmed. "Then why did you let the divorce to continue?!" Mayim questioned slightly getting teary again.

"Why not? Do you wanna stay with him?" Beverly asked. "Yes. I wanna stay with him." She confessed.

"But does he wanna be with you?" Beverly countered making her slightly toppled. She was uncertain if Jim wants to stay married to her as well.

"I don't know. No..." Her voice faded in agony. "That's the reason why I allowed it to happen." Beverly proved.

"I don't want you to be caged in hope that he feels the same way especially if he doesn't. I'm your mother, Mayim. I don't wanna see you get hurt the rest of your life." She explained further, their driver parked the car in front of their house to let them go.

Beverly went down the car and entered the house while it took Mayim a while to grasp the pain and reality that she's not meant for Jim.

The dinner time came, they all sat on the dining room together and exchanged some conversations as they ate their meals.

"Freida, please fix my things on the room." Mayim requested their house helper.

"No need." Barry interrupted. "Why?" Mayim asked. He looked at Beverly in wonder, "you haven't told her?" He asked.

"Honey, you'll be flying to Germany on Friday." She informed him briefly bringing so much questions in her mind.

"Germany? Why?" Her eyes shifted from her to her dad. Barry rested his elbows in anticipation. "You'll be staying there for good." Beverly stated.

"What? But what about my job at the office? I can't just leave work." She pointed out.

"I transferred your position to our branch in Frankfurt so there would be no problem with that." Barry explained. Mayim knew she has no other reasons to complain but moving that far was against her wants, she didn't wanna be away from Jim but then she suddenly recalled that he doesn't feel the same way.

She exhaled and finally agreed. "Okay, then." She conceded as she thought that it would he the best way for her to move on from Jim. "You can still go to the office until before Friday if you want." Barry added.

"No. I'm good." She discarded the idea of seeing Jim before she leaves, she doesn't know if she could contain herself to see him again so she'd rather not try. It's already Wednesday, anyways, her torment wouldn't be so long.

Jim noticed Mayim's absence the next day but he thought she might have some personal issues or she might need a little space for a while so he refused to bother her but he couldn't deny to himself how much he wanted to see her that day. The fact that he could still see her at the office at a daily basis eased his pain about losing her.

If I can't make her stay on the same house as I live, then maybe seeing her everyday at the office would work for me — if that's the only way to be close to her.

He spent his day trying to fill in the missing part of him that only her can complete.

Maybe tomorrow. I hope she would go back to work tomorrow.

Jim was distressed after overhearing that Mayim still refused to go back to work. He tried to keep himself together to resist the temptation of calling her until the afternoon but when he did, she couldn't be reached. He really wanted to see her so he went to Beverly and Barry to ask permission from them if he could visit their place just to see Mayim.

"Why?" Barry asked. "Because..." He formed his courage to tell her parents about his situation. "... I miss her." He continued slightly melting their hearts.

"Uncle Barry, Aunt Beverly, I know things have been messed up, I've been a mess but... I really wanna see Mayim again." He begged. "I'm so sorry for everything that I've done. I'm not perfect but... Please. I just wanna see her. Please?" He followed.

"Why do you wanna see her?" Beverly asked. "Because... I wanna tell her that I miss her..." They felt like his response was insufficient to convince them. "And I love her." He confessed making them feel better.

"You love my daughter?" Barry asked. "Yes, sir. With all my heart. I love your daughter so much so please give me another chance to prove it. I've been a mess at first but I promise to love her right this time, I swear to never hurt her, please give me another chance for your daughter." He begged sincerely.

Barry and Beverly stared at each other for a moment seeming to telepathically decided mutually if they would give him a chance. Beverly glanced at her wrist watch, "well, even if we say yes, I think it's too late. I don't think you can still see her at the house." She made him confused.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"She is set to fly to Germany today." Barry spilled.
"In forty minutes." Beverly supported making him panic.

He immediately rushed to the airport hoping to run after her before she leaves, he called his friend who holds a high position in the airlines to back him up allowing him to enter the airport.

In about thirty minutes, he arrived at the terminal and his friend guided him to Mayim's designated terminal.

As they walked closer, he felt more and more hopeful to be able to stop her from leaving but then as what Beverly said, it might have been too late.

His eyes explored the terminal's waiting area only realizing that there were no longer people around.

"Where are they?" Jim asked weakly as his hopes started to crash down. His friend asked the staffs around only discovering that the passengers were already on board and is out on the field to fly in a few minutes — it's too late.

"Can't we stop the plane?" Jim sounded so desperate but they can't. His hopes finally fell down to the ground and shattered as he saw the plane where Mayim was designated to ride flew away, he sat down on one of the chairs at the area and felt sorry for himself. His friend, Ted, took a distance to give him sometime with his sentiments.

And for the last time, he missed to tell her again about how he feels, he allowed her to go again like he didn't do anything to make her stay and it breaks him. All he ever wanted now was to make her stay but it was too late.