IV

Before I could answer the Just King, he was interrupted by his older brother.

For once I was glad Peter spoke. "What can we do to help, Princess?"

"Well, please call me Y/N." I answered quickly, stepping away from Edmund. I shook my head, not knowing what to say. "I don't know why you all are here. But I suggest we find Caspian before Miraz does."

We decided to use the boat the guards left behind. Peter climbed in first and helped his sisters inside. Next Trumpkin plodded onto the boat. Edmund and I stood on the shore, waiting for the other to go first.

Edmund decided to be a gentleman and help me inside the rowboat. Much to my distaste I was forced to sit by him, quite close. Our thighs were touching and if I leaned any father away I would fall into the water. I didn't want that to happen again.

The six of us rowed upriver, the wind blowing through the trees the only noise surrounding us.

"It's so...quiet." Lucy mumbled, looking at the bright trees around us.

"They're trees. Trees don't make noise." Trump grumbled back, resting his head on his palm.

Lucy sighed, annoyed. "They used to dance, you know."

"Well, you lot decided to up and leave, just like that old lion." Trump went on. "You abandoned us. There's not much left of the Narnia you four knew."

"We didn't abandon anybody!" Susan cried, glaring at the dwarf.

"We didn't mean to leave." Edmund pushed, flaring his nostrils. I could see he wasn't happy with Trumpkin's statement.

●●●

"I know it's this way!" Peter insisted, throwing his hands up.

"I'm telling you, boy, that this way is a dead end!" Trump fired back.

"Can we just choose a path and go?" I grumbled, playing with a strand of my H/C hair. I was seated on a large boulder, looking over a canyon while Peter and Trump fought over which way to go. Susan and Lucy leaned against trees nearby, while Edmund stood near me. His arms were crossed and his eyebrows were narrowed. I didn't like how he watched my every move.

Alright, I may have liked it a teeny bit.

"The river eroded your supposed path away years ago! Can't you see the canyon?!" Trumpkin shouted, stomping angrily towards Peter.

"Well, then how must we get across?!" Peter's tone was harsh.

I rolled my eyes at their bickering. If I was alone, I could build a bridge of ice and easily get across.

"Look!!" Lucy's voice startled me. She had jumped away from the tree and neared the edge of the canyon. "Aslan! Can't you see him?"

I glanced to where she was looking, but saw nothing but trees and bushes. Nevertheless, the young girl continued shouting for the lion.

"I don't see anything." I whispered to Susan.  She nodded in agreement. "Lucy often...imagines things."

Apparently Lucy heard her sister.  She whirled around and said angrily, "I didn't imagine it!  He was right there-"

Before she could finish, the ground Lucy stood upon crumbled and she fell over the cliff.

"Lucy!" Susan, Peter, and Edmund simultaneously called.  They rushed to the edge, anxious to see what had become of their sister.

"It's okay...I'm- I'm fine." The small voice of Lucy sent a wave of relief over me.

I tiptoed over to the others and peered over the edge. Lucy was standing on a small ledge a few yards below us, shaken, but unharmed.

"I think I found the path!" Lucy pointed to a small trail to her right. "I told you it was Aslan! He was showing us the way!"

On my left I heard Peter scoff.

"You don't believe her?" I asked quietly. The High King shook his head. "No. But I'm glad she found the trail."

I turned to Peter's two siblings. "And what about you? I've read the stories. Lucy is almost always right."

Susan merely shrugged while Edmund shook his head. "I do. The last time I didn't believe Lucy, I ended up looking pretty stupid."

His siblings grumbled in agreement and Peter jumped to the ledge below, then proceeded to help Susan down the steep edge.

Edmund decided to cut ahead of me and go over the canyon ledge first. He skillfully landed on his feet and smiled up at me. "Come along, Y/N. You're not scared of heights, are you?"

I narrowed my eyes. "No." I snapped. Truth be told I would rather build an ice ladder or something, not climb down an unstable earth wall.

"I'll catch you."

I rolled my eyes.

Breathing deeply I turned around and got down on my hands and knees. Scooting myself backwards I let my legs dangle over the edge and tried to find a ledge to balance myself on. When I finally found a hold, I slowly started making my way down.

The third foothold I placed my toes in gave out, sending me sprawling backwards.

Strong hands wrapped around my waist, slowing my fall. For some reason I expected it to be Peter - he's more of the knight-in-shining-armor type. Instead, when I planted my feet on the ground and spun around, I was met with the proud face of Edmund.

His arms remained snaked around my waist even when I was safely on the ledge and we stared at each other for a few seconds before he pushed himself away - but not before whispering in my ear.

"Told you I'd catch you."

Short chapter, kind of a filler (sorry!!) I'll try to update more often, but I've been sick and on vacation.

Keep being you, friends.
<Later Gators>