XVII

Sosespian ran at me and I matched his determined facial expression. He sneered as his sword came down towards my neck. I raised my hand and a shard of sharp ice rammed against his blade.

Our swords, his made of metal and mine made of ice, slammed against each other. I gritted my teeth and twisted my sword, swinging the blade around so it would hit him in the shoulder.

Sosespian grimaced and reeled back, but quickly balanced and surged forward, stabbing at me. I blocked his sword, but I wasn't quick enough to stop his fist from colliding with my face.

My left cheekbone quickly became bruised and I felt blood trickling from the burning scrape on my cheek.

Sosespian sneered and reeled back for another punch, but I beat him to the hit. I kicked his shin while swinging my elbow towards his jaw. I hit hard in both places. Sosespian groaned in pain, his head snapping to the left after I elbowed him. I didn't pull any punches and went in for more hits, pummeling him in the stomach, the kneecap, then finally, the neck. The vile man was lying on the ground, his sword at his side. He was coughing blood, his face twisted in pain and anger.

"You're a pig," I spat, stepping away from him and catching my breath.

I fought through soldiers like I was cutting down weeds. Most of them were stopped quickly, my icicles becoming deadly in seconds.

Unfortunately, I became weak quickly. I could feel my chest becoming heavier with each breath, and my ice-knives swings were slowed. Two soldiers ganged up on me, the two of them managing to slice open my left shoulder, the cut deep and painful.

With a cry of pain, I killed them both, slamming icicles threw their chests like a knife through butter.

I moaned, the pain in my shoulder almost unbearable. The skin was stretching with each movement, making the wound larger with each step. Blood was pouring from it, and I felt my arm start to numb.

"Y/N! Oh my gosh, what happened?" Edmund's voice was an immediate comfort. Though the battle raged about, his voice was the only thing I heard.

"Soldiers," I muttered, "it's nothing."

Edmund cocked his eyebrow, looking at me and smirking. "I know, I know, you're a tough princess. But you're in pain, and it's my job to-"

Before he could finish, three soldiers burst against us. Edmund started sword fighting with two of them, while I slammed my palm flat onto the remaining soldier, just like I had done to the bear on the beach. I felt his heart freeze up and the guard fell to the ground, clutching his chest.

While I took care of the soldier, Edmund had successfully taken out the other two.

His face glimmered with sweat and scattered across his skin were cuts and bruises. His eyebrows were creased with worried, and his mouth had a small cut upon it that dropped blood.

As I looked over his face, he looked over mine. I'm sure he was taking notice of the nasty scrape Sosespian gave me, and the bruise above my right temple. My nose was bloody and dripped over my mouth and my chin. We looked like complete messes.

As if we hadn't just fought off angry enemies, Edmund returned to my side and placed a comforting hand on the side of my face. "Y/N. It's my job to take care of you."

A rampant horse was galloping around, until Edmund called to it. It ran to us and Edmund helped me up, before kissing my hand.

"Stay safe," he said calmly, pushing the horse to run back to Aslan's How.

As much as I hated to leave the fight and abandon my fellow soldiers, I knew Edmund was right. I felt like I was about to pass out at any moment. The horse, who told me his name was Winchester, was nice and brave, and did his best to keep me steady.

Suddenly, both Winchester and I were thrown off balance when dozens of trees uprooted and joined the fight - thankfully they fought with the Narnians. I would have been overjoyed by the support, but Winchester and I were violently tossed to the side like rag dolls. I crashed against the ground and felt aches in my torso. There was no doubt in my mind I had broken ribs.

I couldn't stand, and I could barely crawl. Everything started to get blurry.

The last thing I remember was the terrifying familiar face of Sosespian, staring at me with a glare that could kill.

Edmund's POV
Y/N is safe.

That's all that mattered.
That's what kept me going.
I fought men around me, each fight becoming harder and harder against my strained muscles.

Y/N is safe.

I was tired.
But I continued.

Y/N is safe.

More and more Telmarines swarmed me, and for I moment I lost hope. But then the trees uprooted themselves and threw enemies around with blinding speed.

The trees becoming animate was enough to make me stop and watch in amazement. I was proud of the Narnians. I was proud of my army.

Then I saw her, and my heart broke.

Y/N and her horse were thrown backwards, and she landed on her stomach. She wasn't moving.

"Y/N!" I shouted, moving towards my princess with newfound strength. I had to get to her.

I had to keep her safe.

I slammed down soldiers with an amount of strength and speed I've never used before. I kept running towards her, shouting Y/N's name at the top of my lungs.

But he beat me to her.

Sosespian grabbed Y/N by her upper arm and yanked her up, throwing her against the ground once more before tossing her limp body over his shoulder.

"No," I breathed. My chest heaved and my heart tightened, my theist becoming raw. "No!"

Sosespian caught my eyes and grinned at me.

"She's mine," he mouthed.

I started running again, watching as Y/N was placed in a chariot and taken away.

I had to keep her safe.

No, Sosespian, you piece of scum, I thought,

She's mine.