4

"Get out of my head," I say suddenly, feeling a pressure in my mind. Wanda looks at me, shocked that I recognize what she's doing. I glare at her.

"How can you sense that? Why can't I penetrate your brain?" she asks me, confused.

We're all sitting in a large room together, and for some reason, Bucky is staring at me from his place next to Steve. Clint is next to me, Sam is in the armchair, and Wanda is sitting on a small couch with Scott next to her.

"No reason," I say quickly.

She can't know. None of them can.

Bucky frowns, instantly detecting my lie. Thankfully, he doesn't comment on it.

"Won't your parents be worried about you being here?" Sam asks, wanting to make sure this isn't classified as kidnapping.

I laugh coldly while Clint shakes his head.

"Trust me, nobody will care that I'm here," I answer with a small laugh.

"But-"

"Drop it," Clint snaps, his tone sharp and demanding.

"O-kay," Scott says awkwardly. "Can you tell you tell us why you have such a fascination with these two then?" He gestures to Steve and Bucky.

My grandpa was in the 107th. He was captured by HYDRA, but he never spoke much about what happened. When Steve rescued him, he was at a point where he thought he was going to die. Growing up, I never heard any fairytales. No, I heard stories about Captain America and the Howling Commandos.

Man, there wasn't a day that went by that we didn't hear the name Steve Rogers. Before he died, he'd always take me to the Smithsonian to see the Captain America exhibits. I've spent every day in there, just watching the videos and reading about Steve, Bucky, and the rest of the Howling Commandos. It was the only real peace I've had since I entered the system.

"It's kind of complicated," I decide on. "And it's not necessarily a fascination. That sounds too creepy. It's more admiration and respect."

It goes quiet after that, and I find myself fiddling with the dog tags that hang from my jacket. I glance at the group around me, and I notice Bucky's new arm. It's identical to the old one, except-

"Is that vibranium?" I speak up, and he looks at me. He nods hesitantly.

"How did you know?" he asks, his blue eyes seeking out mine.

"I'm not sure," I admit. After a pause, "So...what now? What exactly does being an Avenger include?"

"We need to bring down the Sokovia Accords," Wanda says firmly.

"We need a lawyer, which is pretty much impossible since we're working against the law," Steve sighs.

"I have some legal experience," I say shyly, keeping my eyes on my hands.

Every eye turns to me.

"Elaborate," Wanda requests.

"Well, um, a few years ago, I developed an interest in law. So I started taking some Harvard-level courses online, and I did pretty well. I started interning at a law firm, and I kept taking more courses. I've passed practice BAR exams, and I'm pretty knowledgable in Constitutional law and foreign policy."

"So what you're saying is, you're willing to represent us against the United Nations?" Sam clarifies. "Have you ever represented anyone before?"

"Nope," I smirk. "Go big or go home, am I right? I mean, your case is solid. It's definitely arguable. And I can get Bucky pardoned, too. You have the evidence of his brainwashing, right?"

"Right," Steve nods.

"Exactly. Technically, it would classify as not guilty by reason of insanity," I explain. "Trust me, guys. I've got this."