6

I walk slight behind T'Challa as he leads the way down the halls. Bucky also decided to come with us, and he's currently stuck at my side. I'm not sure why, but I enjoy knowing he's there. Finally, the man leading us unlocks a door. He gestures for us to follow him inside, and my eyes widen when I see the vast variety of jewels. However, in the very center of the room, there is a necklace with a blood-red fire opal pendant. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

"It has many names. The Blood Stone is its most common," T'Challa begins to explain, motioning for me to approach the glass case. "It's called that because it was found in the Kwaai River, which is often referred to as the Blood of Wakanda. The river winds in some way, shape, or form throughout most of the country." He carefully unlocks the case and pulls out the silver necklace. "There is a myth that follows this necklace."

"What's the myth?"

"This necklace only allows one person to wear it, and that person must be its rightful owner. It's said that only someone with a pure heart can own it, only a savior can wear this necklace."

"What made you even think of me? I'm nothing special," I reason.

"You saved me, and you still think you aren't special," Bucky sighs, mostly to himself. He shakes his head.

"But you are. The stone glowed when you arrived on the island. It hasn't done that in years, ever since my father got near it for the first time," he continues.

I reach out to touch the necklace, and the pendant swings toward me. It's like it's drawn to me.

"You said it only lets one person wear it. Why?" I ask cautiously.

"It protects the one it finds worthy."

I carefully touch the gem, and it glows incredibly bright. My eyes widen, and T'Challa takes it as a signal to put the necklace on me. A shock runs through my body as it's clasped on.

"It accepts you," T'Challa says, awed. "You're its rightful owner."

"So...I just wear it now?" I ask, and he nods.

I look to Bucky, and he just shrugs.

•••••

"Hey," Bucky randomly says as we walk around, making me peer up at him, "can we talk?"

"Of course," I reply. "What is it?"

"What got you so upset at breakfast? And don't say nothing because I know it's definitely something," he asks, his blue eyes staring in my own almost-black irises.

I sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"I'm an orphan," I finally let out. "I lived in a foster home before I came here, and they didn't really feed me. Sometimes they, well, sometimes, um...."

"Claire," he says gently, taking my hand in his flesh one, "you can tell me. I won't tell the others."

"You'll think I'm weak and helpless."

He chuckles, "You pulled mind control serum out of my brain with your bare hands. Trust me, you're nowhere near being weak and helpless."

I stare down at the floor before closing my eyes tightly.

"They abused me, okay? They abused me, and I let them," I mumble, hoping he didn't hear me. I feel him stiffen, but seconds later, I'm wrapped tightly in his arms and held close to him.

"Never again," he says through clenched teeth. "Nobody will ever hurt you again, or I'll rip their throats out. I swear to God, nobody will touch you as long as I'm around."

I couldn't use my powers on anybody who hurt me. I thought I'd be taken away and experimented on. So I let myself get hurt.

"Tell me who did it," he begs me, pulling back just enough to look me in the eyes. "Tell me, and I'll kill them. Because they're not like some of the innocent people I've killed. They hurt you, and they should die for it."

"Bucky, it's okay," I say gently, hesitantly reaching up to brush some of the hair out of his eyes. He flinches slightly, but quickly relaxes. "You don't need to kill them for me."

"Why not?"

"Because as long as I stay here for another three months, I'll never have to see them again," I explain.

"I meant it," he finally says, his voice serious. "Nobody will hurt you as long as I'm here. Okay?"

"Okay. Thanks, Bucky," I smile, hugging him again.

"Anytime," he says with a comfortable smile. It's the smile he had back before HYDRA, the one I saw in the black and white movies, and it makes me incredibly happy to see him like this.

We start walking again, and he goes to take my hand again. However, he halts his movement when he realizes that I'm on his left side. Instead, I grab his metal hand and smile up at him before continuing down the hall.