7

I carefully apply concealer, foundation, and powder over all my scars, since my black dress shows some skin. It's long, with a tulle skirt and green details over the torso and arms. The long sleeves and some of my upper chest and lower neck are see-through, except for the green detailing. I wear the Blood Stone, and I also have black high heels that have a green bottom and a silver snake coiled around the heel. A few rings grace my painted-black fingernails, and I wear smoky brown eyeshadow. My hair is pulled up in a fancy up-do, and a soft pink gloss coats my lips.

I actually look pretty.

Too bad it's for a secret mission.

I make sure all my scars are covered adequately before leaving my room. I go down to the living area, where we have all agreed to meet. I find Clint, Bucky, and Wanda there, caught up in a conversation. I linger in the doorway for a second before shyly walking in. Bucky stops mid-sentence as soon as he sees me, his jaw slightly dropped.

"What is it?" Clint asks, confused. Wanda smirks and nudges Clint, gesturing over to me. He facepalms.

"Too much?" I ask, blushing. Bucky shakes his head, coming over to me.

"Never. You look beautiful," he compliments, making my blush worsen.

"Thanks," I mumble, smiling to myself. "You know, that suit makes you look even more handsome than usual."

Oh crap. Nope. I did not just say that. Oh great, he knows I think he's attractive, and he's going to hate me and-

"I don't hold a candle to you, sweetheart," he flirts with a charming smile, and Wanda breaks out into a huge smile. She gives me two thumbs-up from behind Bucky, and I blush even brighter.

Lucky for me, Steve saves me from having to come up with a reply because he enters the room with Scott and Sam. Steve and Scott wear matching suits, while Sam is dressed in a black suit with a white shirt and deep red tie that matches Wanda's dress. I sneak a peak over at Bucky, taking in his appearance once more.

Like the others, he wears a black suit, but his shirt and skinny tie are both the same shade of black as his suit. His long hair is gelled back slightly, and he's watching Steve as he tells us the mission plan. I look down at my wrist and play with the silver snake bracelet I wear. If I twist the snake head the right way, it makes a clicking sound, and the bracelet can be pulled to turn into a rapier. Also, around my ankle is a small dagger in case of an emergency.

Ten minutes later, we're on T'Challa's private jet. I'm sitting next to Bucky, whose arm is draped casually around my shoulders. Wanda and Clint are talking a few seats away, and Steve, Clint, and Sam are gathered at the back.

"Is it bad that I'm a little nervous?" I ask Bucky.

"Of course not. It's your first mission," he assures me. "You'll do great."

"You think so?" I ask hopefully, and he nods.

"I know so. Besides, I'm looking forward to seeing you use your powers," he says truthfully.

"They're not that great," I laugh.

"They are. I saw the footage, Claire. You're incredible," he compliments. "Oh, I almost forgot." He gently moves one of my rings off my index finger and onto my ring finger. "Tonight, my dear, we're married. I'm thinking Viktor and Alyona Falinov for our names. What do you think?"

"Works for me," I confirm. "Do you know how much longer until we get there?"

"Fifteen minutes or so, I think," he answers. "Not too long now."

•••••

Entering the gala is perhaps the most stressful situation I've ever been in. I clutch Bucky's right arm like it's my lifeline. He's slipped on a pair of black leather gloves for now, wanting to conceal his metal arm.

"Just breathe," he murmurs to me. I nod shakily, and we go deeper into the crowd.

"Bucky," I say under my breath, "I see him."

He straightens his spine and leads us over to Iosif, who is sipping from a glass of champagne.

"Mr. Rugov," Bucky begins with, using a thick Russian accent. It's very authentic, very believable. "I am Viktor Falinov, this is my wife Alyona. We could not help but notice a legend such as yourself."

"Legend, hm?" Iosif smirks. "I take it you are artifact collectors, then?"

"Of course," I nod, also in a thick Russian accent. "It is how we met- at an auction for ancient African jewels."

Iosif's cold green eyes land on me, but he wears a small smile.

"Like the one around your neck," he muses.

"Yes," I respond evenly.

"We have sought you out because we've heard you have something very valuable to sell: a necklace that once belonged to Cleopatra," Bucky continues, raising an eyebrow.

"Show me the money first, then we will talk," Iosif demands, and Bucky pulls out a wad of counterfeit Russian bills. Just as quickly as it was shown, it was put away. Iosif narrows his eyes before reaching into his jacket. He pulls out a golden necklace that I instantly recognize. "I did have another buyer, but..." he trails off.

I notice his other hand creeping behind him, and before I can think, he whips out a gun. I throw my hand out, grabbing control of his blood just as his thumb clicks off the safety. His eyes widen as he stares at me in shock, and I stare hard at the gun. Whisps of telekinetic energy surrounds it as I break down the molecules. I rearrange them to create dust, and the gun crumbles to nothing.

I'm jolted momentarily as Iosif yells out something in Russian. It makes me lose my focus momentarily, and Iosif escapes my grasp. I chase after him, skidding to a stop with Bucky by my side when I see the gang Iosif's brought with him. Steve, Scott, and Clint bust through the door, and Sam and Wanda emerge from the crowd.

"Claire, get Iosif!" Steve yells, but I'm already long gone. I'm chasing after him, and I focus on his blood. I catch ahold of it, grinning widely as I do. I yank him closer to me, but he's struggling. I make him stiffen even more, and he's staring at me with wide eyes.

"W-Who are you?" he stutters through his barely movable jaw.

I summon a cloud of poison, and I hold it threateningly above him.

"Your worst nightmare," I smirk, thrusting the poison down his throat.

I drop his lifeless body, and I race back the group who is attacking the others. I harshly pull on their blood, immobilizing them. I'm using both hands to hold them all, so I mentally summon a cloud of poison.

"W-We will k-kill you," one stutters.

"I don't think so," I say with a determined expression on my face.

I force the poison into their bodies. They convulse for a few seconds before going limp under my hold. I drop their bodies and turn to the Avengers, who look at me with respect and surprise. They had killed a few goons before I got over here, but I just took down six without even touching them.

"Looks like that's settled," I say, breaking the silence. I hold up Cleopatra's necklace. "I got it."