11

Ten.

My childhood is almost officially over.

Nine.

Oh, who am I kidding? My childhood has been over for years.

Eight.

I was eight when Mom was arrested.

Seven.

That was how many years it took for me to realize my situation was permanent.

Six.

The first time I used my powers, it took approximately six seconds for it to hit me that I could control blood.

Five.

I was five when my dad died.

Four.

It's been almost four months since I joined Steve's side.

Three.

Three years after entering foster care, my mom died.

Two.

Clint found me two hours after the incident at the school.

One.

Everyone has one person they can't live without, and for me, that person is and always will be Bucky Barnes.

Zero.

"Happy Birthday."

I move from my place in front of the fire, a spot I've come to enjoy, and I turn to see Bucky standing there sheepishly with a small box in his hand.

"I wanted to be the first to tell you," he mumbles.

He's changed since the whole 'Winter Soldier' thing. He isn't the Bucky I saw in the videos. He's more unsure of himself, a bit more shy, and moodier, to name a few. But I like him just the way he is.

He approaches me, handing me the velvet-covered box once he's close enough.

"I got this made a few days ago, after our first late-night conversation," he explains, rubbing the back of his neck. I untie the green ribbon he neatly placed around the box, then I carefully open it.

As the lid lifts, a beautiful silver ring is revealed to me. It has a silver crescent moon with a silver star inside. In the middle of the star, there's a small ruby. On either side of the moon is a cluster of three black diamonds. My jaw drops slightly as I carefully take the ring out of the box. On the inside of the band, the words My Moon & Stars are engraved.

(A/N: The ring is in the picture)

"Bucky..." I trail off, staring at the ring in awe. It's the most beautiful, thoughtful, touching thing I've ever been given.

"Do you like it?" he asks hopefully.

"Like it? Bucky, I love it," I say softly, hugging him tightly. "Thank you so much. You have no idea how much it means to me."

He pulls back a little and gently slides the ring onto my ring finger. No, it's not an engagement ring, but it still holds a promise. And to me, that's just as important. He must feel the same. He kisses my forehead and hugs me once again.

"It's my way of promising you that I meant it when I said I'd always protect you and be there for you," he murmurs.

"What would I do without you?" I sigh, resting my head against his chest.

"You'd be okay," he says with a sad laugh. "You don't need me."

"Of course I do," I insist, though my voice is soft. "You're the whole reason I even agreed to go with Clint. You've been by my side since I joined this group, and I honestly don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you."

"Well, I'm glad to know I mean something to somebody other than Steve," he says, running his fingers through my hair. "And you better know I feel the same about you. You're my sanity."

•••••

"You've never baked before?" Laura asks, surprised. I'm currently helping her make cupcakes for a bake sale put on by the school that their kids, Lila and Cooper, attend.

"Never," I say with a shake of my head.

"Well, you're a natural," she compliments. "These look amazing."

"Thanks," I mumble, looking down at the cupcakes with a blush on my cheeks.

"That's a lovely ring, by the way," she says.

"I know," I say, wearing a stupid grin. "Bucky gave it to me."

"Ah, Bucky. I've been meaning to ask, are the two of you a couple? You seem so close to each other," she asks as she pulls her hair back into a ponytail.

"No, we're not together," I answer with a small sigh. I shrug. "I like him, though. But I don't want to ruin anything. Clint thinks I should just let it work itself out."

"Ruin anything?" Laura laughs. "Honey, have you seen the way that man looks at you?"

"What do you mean?"

I stop icing the cupcakes and turn my eyes on her. My expression is one of surprise and disbelief.

"Just trust me on this. Regardless of what you think, he's head over heels for you. He's not doing a very good job at hiding it, either," she explains.