Chapter 12: Unexpected Visit

• Dedicated to My friend Meghan:) ILY Megs!

Welcome back Wattpaders!

Thank you to all who voted for Chapter 11 even though it wasn’t a good chapter. This chapter is WAY more interesting. A lot is revealed, for better or for worse. Join Elizabeth again for another installment of Gifted! (I've always wanted to say that)

Enjoy!

_________________________________________________________________________

The little ice-cream parlor that he took us to was old fashioned. It had circular tables with stools and a black and white checkered floor.

I told Blake that I wanted a chocolate shake with extra whipped cream on top.He told me to go pick a seat while he ordered. I picked one in the corner away from everybody else.

I surveyed my surroundings. A few couples here and there. There were parents with their children. A few people from my school were here. Once they noticed I was sitting in the corner they smiled and waved. I returned the gesture to everyone.

Then I caught sight of a girl walking into the parlor alone. The girl had short and spiky white-blonde hair. She was tall and thin.

Her eyes darted around the parlor before resting on me. I held her gaze. The she started walking towards me. I narrowed my eyes at her. She didn’t seem threatened and just sat in the chair across from me.

“That seat is taken.” I say a little harsher than necessary. I don’t know why, but I’m getting bad vibes from this girl.

“I’ll only be a minute.” She says in a soothing, clear voice. “My name is Kate. I’m gifted and I know you are too.” Then she fell silent, as if waiting for me to absorb the news.

First I felt disbelief, but she seemed sincere. Then I felt shock. There ARE other gifted people out there!

And lastly, I felt suspicion. Why would this girl come and tell me this and how did she find me here? Then I thought of the answer. That guy that has been following me the last couple of days was spying on me for this girl. What do they want?

I thought of all of this in a second. I didn’t let any of my emotions show.

I got straight to the point. “What do you want?”

“I’ll put this simply. That boy you are with right now is dangerous. Don’t trust him. You need to stop socializing with him. He will betray you. He is gifted like us; except for he is on the bad side, the evil side. I’m warning you. You are not safe with him.”

This time I couldn’t help it. A look of confusion crossed my face. “Who are you to say that? Are you on the ‘good’ side? How can he betray me?" I bombarded her with questions. "He doesn’t even know that I’m gifted!”

“But he does Elizabeth. He knows how powerful your gift is. I am on the good side. We protect the humans. They don’t. They want to enslave them. They think that the gifted shouldn’t hide their identities anymore. That they should control the humans and they want you Elizabeth. You must be careful.”

“What is Blake’s gift then? And what’s yours?” I ask because, even though she just told me Blake was a greedy liar, all I wanted to know about was the other gifted people.

“You will find his out in due time. As for mine, I will show you.”

She yanked up the sleeve of her sweatshirt and showed me her wrist. On the inside of her right wrist was her tattoo. There were two arrows crossing each other.

“So, you’re a good archer?” I asked.

“Not just a good archer; the best.”

I looked at her with wonder. “That’s sweet!”