Chapter 23 (When mom finds out, all hell breaks loose)

-Eunice's POV-

            I open the door with Mavis and walk in only to see my mom sitting on the couch talking to Robert while my dad walks out of the kitchen. I stop dead in my tracks as well as Mavis. Mom smiles seeing me as I walk up to her giving her a kiss and a hug.

"How was your getaway with your friends?" she asks.

"I had fun" I tell her looking at dad quickly who was giving me an apologetic look. "I had no idea you were coming home mom" I say to her.

"I got a break from work and I miss my family" she says before looking at Mavis who was still standing near the door. "And this is one of your friends Eunice?" she asks. I turn around to mouth 'sorry' to Mavis who just shrugs subtlety

"Yup. Mom I'd like you to meet Mavis Halstead" I introduce the two of them as Mavis makes her way to where we are.

"Nice to meet you Mrs Walker" Mavis shakes my mom's hand and mom gets this look before realization hits her.

"Pleasure meeting you again Mavis. You were so little the first time I met you" mom says with a smile. "Thank you for bringing Eunice home safely from your getaway" she adds as we take our seats on the couch.

"It was nothing" Mavis answers before her eyes take on a guarded look as she looks at Robert. Mom starts up a conversation concerning me and Robert and how we used to play husband and wife when we were little getting a blank look from Mavis which worries me a lot more than when she openly expresses her anger or frustration. As mom gets to the point of me dating Robert, I mentally smack my forehead for making my girlfriend endure this.

"It's such a shame you two broke up" mom gushes and all I could do is bite my lip to stop me from pointing out to her that I'm with Mavis now. I look at dad for help before looking at a very bemused Mavis.

"Well dear, they're not meant to be then" dad interjects but mom looks at him like he's grown two head shaking her head.

"I strongly believe that they are meant to be" she insists making me wishing the earth would just swallow me up right now. "Don't you think so Robert?" Robert simply nods his head in agreement.

"If Eunice would give me another chance, I would date her again. She has been my best girlfriend so far" he says locking his eyes with mine. Mom looks at me with expectation in her eyes.

"Ahm" I start but came out blank. "You know mom, we didn't work out for a reason" I tell her getting an eye roll, the nerve!

"If Robert didn't move to Australia, I bet you guys would still be together" sometimes I wonder if I got my stubbornness from her.

"Clarice" dad warns but mom chooses to ignore him and continues ranting about how we were such a cute couple with Robert agreeing to everything she says. My eyes drift to my girlfriend and when our eyes lock she has this blank look again telling me she's beyond annoyed.

"You two should go to homecoming together" mom lets out and I lose it.

"I'm with someone" I slightly yell making mom stop her rant.

"Excuse me what?" I close my eyes quickly and is meet by mom's slightly angry, slightly surprised ones.

"I can't be with Robert because I'm already with someone" I tell her and look at Mavis.

"At least let me meet him" mom says coldly crossing her arms while dad sighs.

"You already did and it's not a guy" I say and realization hit her. That's when her jaws snap and she turns to look at Mavis who was now meeting my mom's death glare.

"You!" she yells standing and I follow suit. "What did you do to my daughter?" she adds as Mavis stands up as well. "Is this your way of rebellion?" She then looks at me with angry eyes that made me swallow the sudden fear that formed in my throat.

"No" I argue.                                                                   

"This is just a phase. You are not gay!" She yells.

"Mom this is not a phase!" I yell back.

"I do not have a daughter who is gay! This is a sin!" She turns back to Mavis. "You are not allowed to see Eunice. I will not let you contaminate my only child with your sinful ways" she spits at her making me look at her in disbelief.

"Mom stop it!" I try but it's as if she can't hear me anymore.

"Get out of my house!" She adds pointing at the door.

"Clarice that is enough!" Dad says silencing mom.

"You're alright with this?!" she asks incredulously. "How could you be okay with our only child choosing the path of sin?!" she adds.

"Eunice is old enough for this decision and as her father I'm happy that she's found someone she can be happy with" dad states calmly. "Why is this such a big deal to you? You used to like girls when we first met" he adds, my jaw drops to the floor at this revelation.

"That was before and I've changed. And I know this is just a phase to her as it was to me" mom insists.

"It's not a phase mom. I love her" I say as I walk to Mavis and hold her hand feeling her squeeze mine. "I love Mavis mom and I'm sorry I can't be the perfect daughter you want. I can't stop what I feel for her. I love her and she loves me. Can't you just be happy for me?" I look at mom with tears threatening to spill from my eyes. Mom gives me a blank look and opts not to comment.

"Mavis" dad says and I look at him. "Please take Eunice with you" he adds and I look at him with questioning eyes, he simply gives me a smile as I start walking with Mavis to the door with her grabbing our bags. Once we're in the car, I break down Mavis hugging me and whispering comforting words in my ear while stroking my back.

"Everything's going to be okay, I promise you" I hear her whisper kissing my head as I let myself cry. I was angry, sad and disappointed that my mom wouldn't accept the fact that I love Mavis. That I love a girl, that I'm happy.