Chapter 25 (Silver's Intuition)

-Mavis' POV-

            "I don't trust him" Silver suddenly says when Robert passes by. We were leaning against my locker waiting for our girls to be done with their meeting about the homecoming dance.

"Why?" I ask her seeing as Silver never voices out her discomfort.

"He has a different aura and I don't like him at all. He reminds me of them" she explains narrowing her eyes at nothing in particular. I think about it, I think about Silver's past and shudder at the thought of how the hunters mercilessly killed her parents. "I've been observing him Mavis. He seems like he's waiting for the right time to do something but I don't know what" she adds pushing off the locker to look at me, her blue eyes swirling with her thoughts.

"I never liked him since he set foot in this place" I tell her as we look at Robert.

"Be careful around him Mavis. I don't want you getting blindsided if he happens to have anything up on his sleeve" Silver says before I feel two tan arms wrapping around my waist.

"Hey. Sorry it took a lot longer than I wanted" Eunice says to me kissing my cheek quickly.

"Don't worry about it, you're here now" I tell her and see Silver raising her eyebrow in amusement as she kisses Natalie beside her.

"Cheeseball" Eunice teases me but I shrug it off.

"So are you going to tell me what you girls planned for homecoming?" I ask as we walk to my car. "And why I'm not part of it?" I add once we're inside the car.

"It's a surprise" she answers buckling her seatbelt. "Your dad told me you've got a lot of things you need to take care of" I grumble under my breath as I drive us out of the parking lot and towards my house. "Mavis, there's something I need to tell you" I briefly look at her as we come to a stop on a red light.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I just got a call from Stanford" she starts as the light turns green.

"That's great" I tell her genuinely. She told me about her mom applying her to some of the best universities in the country.

"I guess" she says above a whisper making me glance at her.

"What's with the hesitation?" I ask turning to my street and seeing the house.

"It's nothing" she dismisses while I park my car. Eunice quickly exits the car making me run after her. I grab her arm stopping her from going anywhere until we finish our conversation.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask and try to catch her eyes but she keeps looking anywhere but at me. "Come on, you can tell me" I add. She sighs, her brown eyes now lock into mine.

"I got in" she says and I smile but my smile fades when I see her sad look. "But I don't want to go to Stanford" she adds as I hold both her hands, my fingers caressing hers.

"You've always dreamt to go to Stanford. What changed that?" I ask. Eunice sighs dragging me to the backyard where we take a sit on the swing.

"I don't know. I mean mom always wanted me to go to Stanford" she states as I swing us back and forth. "Besides if I go to Stanford and you're going to Halstead University, we're going to be apart" she adds and now I understand her reason. Halstead University is thousands of miles away from Stanford.

"Hey I could attend Stanford. I mean it'll be easy to get in" I tell her trying to lighten our conversation. She looks at me with the 'you're-so-cocky-look' to which I just smile at.

"I wanna go to Halstead University so I can continue my love for music. If I go to Stanford I'll be studying law or medicine" she tells me as she snuggles into me.

"You should tell your mom, I bet she'll understand. You know she will" I tell her reassuringly. I hear some rustling sounds so I turn to check it out only to see a black blur running on the street.

"You're right. I'll tell her when she gets home tonight" I hear Eunice say making me turn back to her with a smile before she notices anything. "Stay the night?" she asks.

"Well, if you insist" I wink getting a slight glare from her as she stands up taking me with her. I hear another sound as we walk inside but I try to ignore it not to worry Eunice at all.