Chapter Ten

"All the hardest, coldest people you meet were once as soft as water. And that's the tragedy of living."

- Iain Thomas

@Athelittlemockingjay Thanks for the quote! I absolutely adore it. xx

+++++

Chapter Ten

We are brought into this world, completely and totally pure. We are innocent and naïve, unknowing of the horrors that this world holds.

It's unfortunate, really, how this twisted, cruel world corrupts you. Your innocence is destroyed, trust is broken, and you start to accept the evil that you are given, for love and compassion becomes a rarity.

Our innocence is tainted and we learn how unjust and unfair the world we live in is.

For some, they are able to go through life unaware of how sickening it truly is. It's those people that I envy.

They live a fairytale life.

Unfortunately for me, there is no happily ever after for a girl in a gang.

+++++

My legs were pumping back and forth, as were my arms. Desperate gasps of air filled the silence while my feet barely touched the ground as I sprinted through the dark street.

The tears had dried up by now, but I knew that the second I stopped running; the floodgates would reopen.

It was much too dark for me to see anything, but I couldn't be bothered by the lack of light, or direction for that matter.

The sound of tires approaching made me make a sharp right, and dive straight through a thicket of thorn bushes. Hisses of pain exited my mouth but I forced myself to remain quiet as the car slowly drove by, beams of light flooding out of the car and darting around.

I pressed myself into the cold, hard bricks, a shaky hand placed over my mouth. It felt as if years had passed before the car finally drove off, and I was able to take my hand away.

Small scratches were peppered over my body, but there wasn't much physical damage.

Oh no. The pain I felt was specifically linked to my damaged emotional state.

I bit my lip and emerged from the wall of thorn bushes that had provided me shelter from the flashlights.

I couldn't stop now.

One again I found myself running as quickly as I could, my heart rate dramatically taking off as I sprinted through the unlit streets.

Up ahead, I could see that there were lights streaming from large buildings. I hesitated for a moment before continuing forwards, praying that they wouldn't be there.

Why was I running? Who was I running from?

Fear pulsed through my veins as I rounded a corner, heading into the alley just behind the large buildings. Judging from the loud music that was echoing from within, I could only assume that I was now standing behind a club, and was in a new part of the city.

I backed into the wall, sinking into the shadows. My heart was now slowing down and returning to it's normal pace, but I was on edge. Every noise seemed to be a danger to me, and I felt incredibly vulnerable standing there.

The tears pricked the edges of my eyes and a weak cry left my lips. I squeezed my eyes shut as more tears leaked from my eyes, and I felt a headache begin to start.

I let out gasp of terror when the door, no more than ten feet away, was flung open and four men came tumbling out.

Two of the guys were holding back one of the men, while the other man punched the helpless man mercilessly.