Chapter Nineteen

+++++

Summary of Chapter 18 for those who have forgotten:

Evie is in the hands of the Nine Black Guns

Sebastian, Mason, and Callum have all been arrested

Chief Carter, the new police chief, is aiming to destroy The Kings—no matter what

Evie is collateral damage—which means it doesn't matter what happens to her, as long as the Kings are ruined

Chapter Nineteen

"Well look at this," Chief Carter said slowly, looking around the room, "the gang's all here."

Silence was her only response as the three boys watched her with murderous expressions—Sebastian's being the deadliest.

In fact, you could practically see the steam rolling off his shaking form as Chief Carter sat back and watched in amusement.

"What? No reunion party?" She looked around the cell expectantly. Her lips twitched upwards, although she tried to suppress her happiness for the most part.

Her joy radiated from her as she watched the three helplessly restrained by straight jackets and shackles.

"I'm nearly positive that you need a reason to put someone in a straight jacket," Callum stated lowly, his eyes narrowing as he glared at the chief.

Chief Carter matched his glare as she leaned forward tauntingly. "And I'm nearly positive that you and your friends should have been killed the moment we found you."

She sat back lazily and crossed her arms over her chest, a smirk settling on her lips. "I guess you could say I'm just being generous."

Sebastian remained silent as Callum threw profanities left and right. Mason, on the other hand, wore a shameful expression. Guilt had been embedded into his features ever since they had arrived.

It didn't take a genius to realize why.

"Upset, Mason?" Carter asked, turning her attention towards him. Mason's brow furrowed even more, as he remained quiet.

"You fascinate me, Mason Walker." She admitted, her eyes twinkling brightly as she spoke.

"You had so much potential, but..." she shook her head sadly, "you threw it all away."

Mason stiffened in his chair, before casting his gaze to the floor as though he were a child being shunned by his parent. Sebastian watched Mason carefully; unsure of how he would react.

"You should have been able to see that we were tracking Sebastian's call," she said loudly, "What happened? Did you let your guard down?"

By now, Chief Carter was standing directly in front of him. Her voice was jeering and menacing.

"What a disappointment you must be to Sebastian," she hissed out, placing her hand on his shoulder. "But it seems that you disappoint people quite often, isn't that right?"

All emotion washed from Mason's face as she spoke. Sebastian glanced at Callum, who looked just as confused as he was.

"It always the quiet ones who are dangerous." Chief Carter said, leaning close to Mason. "Come on, show me how dangerous you are."

No response.

"Come on," she hissed, her expression darkening.

Silence.