Seventh Grade

Dean still thought about Cas everyday. He remembered the way his blue eyes sparkled, how he always had a huge smile, and his always slightly tangled hair.

Dean tried to do well in school, but he always felt empty without his friend beside him. Cas had been there for him since they were young, so Dean didn't understand why Cas left with no warning.

"Dean Winchester."

Dean was staring through the window, watching the branches sway in the wind. He didn't hear his teacher call his name, or the snickering of his classmates.

"Dean Winchester." The teacher approached him from behind and tapped on his shoulder.

Dean looked at his teacher, emotionless.

"You're being called down to the office."

Dean walked out the classroom, letting the door loudly slam behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cas walked up the steps of Shurley Academy, tugging at his itchy, wool uniform. His hands stopped at the necklace that still was hanging from his neck. Turning the pendant in his hand, he smiled, thinking about his old friend. He tucked it underneath his uniform, so he felt the metal touch his skin.

"Cas, get to class" Balthazar said, running ahead of him.

Cas smacked his forehead.

French.

How could he have forgotten.

He started running down the hall, racing towards room 134.

He managed to slip into his desk just as the bell rang, receiving an eyebrow raise from his teacher.

"La classe, enlevez les notes de la dernière leçon." (I don't know any French, so sorry if anything doesn't make sense)

Cas pulled out his notebook, flipping to the most recent notes. He stopped when he reached the one titled Common Phrases in French. His slightly messy handwriting covered the page, but one phrase jumped out at him.

je t'aime

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean walked towards the main office of his school, slowly opening the creaky door.

"Mr. Winchester?" The lady sitting at the front desk asked. "Your father is here to pick you up."

Deans eyes widened for a moment, but he quickly nodded.

"Grab your bags, you're being dismissed."

Dean went quickly to his locker, but did not go outside to his father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the school day went by pretty quickly for Cas.

He sat in the middle of his English classroom, twirling Dean's necklace as the teacher droned on and on about Shakespeare.

"William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon in May of 1616." His teacher said.

Cas raised his hand. "Actually, it was April of 1564. He died in 1616."

"Are you saying that I made a mistake?" The teacher asked.

Cas started him in the eyes. "Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying."

A girl in the back of the class raised her hand. "Actually, Castiel is right."

The teacher checked for the correct date in the textbook, and apologized for his mistake. 

*time skip*

Cas threw his backpack onto his bedroom floor, collapsing onto his bed. He turned to his nightstand, seeing a dusty copy of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. His hands brushed over the multiple creases on the cover, remembering the one day in fifth grade.

He opened the book up to where he had left off, and began to read.

"During the year I stood there I had known was the loss of my heart. While I was in love I was the happiest man on earth."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dean was running.

He didn't have a destination, but he was running.

He looked behind him to see the fading shape of Rosen Middle School, a wave of thoughts crashing through his mind.

What if his father found him?

What would his brother do?

What if he'd be caught?

What if Cas came back looking for him, but he wasn't there?

His feet blurred as he ran harder and faster than he ever did, leaving all that he remembered behind.