The Next Day

Dean and Cas sat in Cas's car as they drove down the highway, music playing through the open windows.

They had spent most of yesterday and earlier today telling stories of the past few years, the ones that they had spent apart.

Dean tapped his fingers on his legs as the music played in the background.

He looked over to Cas, his now boyfriend, who was wearing a red shirt with shorts.

Cas was loudly singing along to the radio, which made Dean smile. His voice was smooth, and perfectly in tune with the music.

Dean was the happiest he was in a few years, now that he was with Cas again. He finally felt that he was happy exactly the way he was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cas changed lanes, avoiding hitting any cars as he exited the highway.

He was excited that Dean had agreed to be his boyfriend, afraid that he could've been rejected. But it was Dean who was actually too nervous to ask.

The gentle breeze blew through the slightly rolled down windows, blowing Cas's hair back.

Cas took his eyes off of the road.

"Hey Dean, when we get married, how many kids are we going to have?"

Dean pressed his lips together, thinking of an answer. He opened his mouth after a few seconds to give an answer, but suddenly his eyes widened and Dean screamed out.

"Look out!" He yelled, pointing to a swerving black car that was coming dangerously close to them.

Cas whipped his head back to the road, jerking his steering wheel to the right.

His car slammed into a telephone post, causing the wire to send sparks flying down.

It seemed that everything had slowed when the collision happened.

Cas watched out of the corner of his eye as the airbag pushed Dean back into his seat, his body being slammed backwards..

Then, everything went

Black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cas's eyes snapped open, and he began panicking.

Where was he?

Where was Dean?

What happened?

"Cas!"

Cas sat up, wincing in pain as he saw his brothers rush towards his side.

"Dean?" He croaked, his voice cracking at the end.

"He's in the room across the hall." Lucifer said, gesturing out the door.

Cas shook his head, "I mean, is he okay?"

Gabriel looked at his brother's blue eyes, tears reflecting the white hospital lights. "The doctors said that he may not survive." Gabriel walked over to Cas's bedside, and gripped his bruised, bloody hand.