Love Me Not

Chapter 1

Jane went up to his attic, it had been six months since he's been up here and he needed to think. Lorelei was still in the interrogation room and had yet to be moved, but Lisbon, she was gone. He had searched the entire building for her but she was nowhere to be found! He lets out a ragged sigh, he went to her house and the Starbucks nearby and even his place at Malibu. But she had vanished like a ghost.

Maybe Lorelei was right, maybe he did love her a little.

The attic was still the desolate haven he had while he worked here previously, nothing had been touched. There was the makeshift bed in the corner, and the desk at the center of the room. He spotted his journal resting on his desk.

Wait a minute, that's not right.

Picking up the small journal with shaking hands he flips through the pages, he hadn't written in this for...well six months. This was one of the things he had left behind, it had all of his thoughts in it. More or less on Red John but still. He found a letter written in the last page, it had today's date.

Jane,

This is goodbye, I've been working at the FBI for two months now and I need to leave. When you came back I was so angry and excited at the same time that I never told you. I needed to test out a theory, to see if you've changed at all. You haven't but there were a few signs that suggested you had. Also, before you shot me you said 'Love you' and afterwards denied that. Coward. I need to move on, to let go of you and stay somewhere where there are no Red John cases and conspiracy theories. The FBI is really great and my team is very nice to me. I've grown attached but I will admit being with you again was refreshing. Even if you were only dwelling on yourself.

'Love you'

Teresa Lisbon

He has to read it five times for the message to sink in and when it does he has to sit down.

"She left me."

But that was okay wasn't it? He couldn't love her, she deserved someone else. Someone that could flirt with her and take her on dates openly, make her laugh, hold her in his arms...

"Someone that isn't me."

Maybe this was a good thing. He couldn't drag her down with him. That's right, he should let her go. Let her live her life...

Wait a minute, FBI? She's working at the FBI?

He reads a passage.

"This is goodbye, I've been working at the FBI for two months now and I need to leave."

That ends it. Leave her there and she won't have a life to live! He'll never forget what Red John told him: there's a mole in the FBI. This isn't a coincidence it's a trap. It makes sense, Red John wanted her dead and someone just so happens to get her into the FBI? He goes downstairs.

"Hey Grace?"

"Yes?"

"Where does Lisbon work at the FBI?"

"Um..."

"Forget it I'll find out by myself."

I'm sorry. He thinks to himself. But you'll get killed if you stay there.

•••••••••

Do you like it? It's a new idea I wanted to test it out ; ). Comments are love.