Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Lisbon woke up to the smell of eggs and bacon. She was in her bed, still in the same outfit from last night, which meant that someone had taken her home. Considering the possibility that Rory was the one who had taken her home she gets her gun and cautiously goes downstairs only to be baffled at who was really there.

"Jane why are you in my kitchen?"

"I'm making breakfast of course."

"But I thought-"

"That I was Rory? You're safe with me Lisbon you should know that about now."

Lisbon smirks.

"Like you care about my safety.-she starts getting the plates out, might as well if he's making breakfast- So why are you here really?"

"What do you mean?"

He says as he puts breakfast on the table. They sit across from each other and instead of actually eating, she absentmindedly pushes the eggs back and forth on her plate.

"You know Lisbon, I didn't just make this for myself."

She focuses on him.

"Jane, there are three reasons why someone would take care of me: manipulation, they're concerned, or they know something that I don't. So which one are you exactly?"

"The second one."

"Oh please."

She starts eating not wanting to continue this conversation.

"Teresa-she glares at him-I mean Lisbon listen to me. I've been worried about you since our argument in the attic. And then when I found you at the bar last night you confirmed my theory: he's a killer and you witnessed it. So I decided to take you home and I stayed downstairs. Nothing had happened and here we are now. "

He wasn't stating the facts, he was concerned and even more when she became crestfallen.

"..."

"You know, the very fact that you were paranoid and brought a gun just proves what had happened."

There was silence and she looked so lost that he couldn't take it anymore and went to her side, resting his hands on her shoulders.

"...Lisbon?"

"..."

"Did I go to far?"

"If you already know, then why haven't you killed him?-her voice is barely audible and she looks up at him.-Isn't that what you've always wanted? Revenge against Red John?"

"No. It's not what I've always wanted but I do want it."

She furrows her eyebrows.

"I don't understand."

"Common I'll explain over coffee."

She follows him and stays at the counter while he pours a cup of coffee for her. She takes the mug gratefully.

"Mmm first breakfast now coffee, I'm beginning to really like you again."

He smiles at her.

"I was going to do this for you every morning."

"What?"

He looks away, trying to voice the explanation.

"...Revenge is sort of like a drug. I get so high from it and it just completely takes over. At first I loved it, it was all that I really cared about and you're right, I used you as a tool."

"..."

Lisbon sets the mug back down on the counter and studies him to see if he's lying. Jane gets nervous and talks a little faster.

"But then whenever I was alone the depression took over instead and you would always be there to get me out. Even if I yelled at you you would still come to help me. I began to dislike my revenge because of that and five years in I fell in love with you. I wanted you more then I wanted Red John dead."

"You failed at showing it."

"That's because I couldn't."

She blinks in surprise.

"You couldn't?"

"It's hard to fall in love when you've lost your family, so I started with little things like buying you coffee and staying with you at work. But it wasn't enough so I stayed in your office and sometimes I would hold your hand."

"But?"

"Revenge would take over and I could tell I was killing you so I promised myself that once this was all over? I was going to take care of you, give you everything you wanted, make you smile and maybe even laugh. But I guess I let it show to much because I started getting threats."

Lisbon looks alarmed.

"Were you hurt? Are you okay?"

He waves her off.

"I was relatively okay, the threats came in letters and videos of him stalking you. He didn't like that you were changing me for the better. And we weren't getting anywhere with catching him so I lost hope and..."

"You ran away."

"I was hoping that he would leave you alone, I knew you were going to get hurt but I never knew it cause this much damage. And when I came back to see you again, he had singled you out. He was going to turn you into one of his puppets."

She finishes her coffee and goes to fill the kettle, Jane looks a little confused.

"What are you doing?"

"Peace treaty."

"Peace treaty?"

"I feel bad for the argument in the attic."

"You don't have to-"

"Please, let me do this."

Jane wraps his arms around her from behind breathing in her cinnamon scented shampoo.

"Thanks."

He kisses her cheek and she smiles.

"You know I'm still his right? He's not just going to let go of me."

"I'll take care of that. He won't come near you again."

Lisbon unwinds herself from him.

"Revenge is not justice Jane."

"I'm not going to kill him if that's what you're thinking."

"What?"

There's a faint glimmer of mischief in his eyes and he smiles at her.

"I have an idea. A wonderful idea."

•••••••••••

I hope you liked it!