Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Jane takes hold of her hand and leads her into the room beside the interrogation room where Rory is being held.

"Wait what are we doing? Aren't you going to catch him now?"

"Yes but first I need your trust."

She makes a face.

"Excuse me?"

"You listened to him Teresa, he still has a hold on you and if you don't trust me on this then it won't work."

She crosses her arms.

"Alright fine I admit that maybe there's still a part of me that doesn't want this to happen. But if Rory really is Red John then I have no choice but to do this with you."

"If he's Red John? You know full well that he is! Teresa he can use that doubt to his advantage...maybe it's best that you took a step back and let me handle this."

"LET YOU HANDLE THIS!? JANE YOU'LL KILL HIM!"

"WHY? WHY DO YOU WANT HIM TO LIVE!? WHAT DID HE DO THAT'S MADE YOU SO ATTACHED TO HIM!?"

"I'M NOT ATTACHED! I LOVE YOU NOT HIM!"

"LIKE HELL YOU-"

She grabs both sides of his face and kisses him hard. Then she breaks away, her eyes burning with fury.

"Don't you dare believe for a second that I don't love you. I will not take a step back, and you will not kill him. Do you understand?"

All he can do is nod. Never again will he underestimate the love she has for him. The two of them enter the interrogation room, where Rory is smiling at the both of them.

"How was the kiss?"

They sit down and Jane starts the interrogation.

"We're not here to discuss that."

Rory folds his hands together.

"Of course not, you want to prove that I'm Red John."

Jane is growing angry and he slams his fist on the table.

"YOU ARE RED JOHN YOU MONSTER DON'T YOU DARE LIE TO ME!"

Teresa rests her hand on his shoulder and gently pushes him back down in his seat.

"Jane calm down, Rory what proof do you have that doesn't label you as Red John?"

"I'm a journalist, not a serial killer. My purpose is to be the voice of families who've lost someone-

"That you killed."

-dear to them and express their opinions."

Jane counters his speech.

"You can't fool me, you're a journalist because you love the publicity. You murder others and then come back to see the damage, afterwards exploiting it to the public. Rory even if you are not Red John you are still a killer."

Rory frowns.

"A killer?"

"That's right, you're just like the rest of them: always for the thrill."

"Are you comparing me to average killers?"

"We have an eye witness of you killing an entire gang, which does in fact label you as one."

He seems very troubled about this and Jane smiles when he realizes that he has successfully gotten under Rory's skin.

"Now that I think about it, someone like you could never be that successful. To kill women for years on end without leaving a trace."

Rory leans forward.

"Don't underestimate me, I am no killer."

"Of course you're not."

"I have evidence."

"Really?"

Rory folds his hands together.

"You do realize that no matter what card you use I will always counter."

"No. I won, you lost it's as simple as that!"

"How then? How did you win?"

Jane couldn't answer that one because really he won because of Lisbon.

"I have Teresa now and you're in custody."

"We both have Teresa and I am just as a threat to you as you are to me."

Jane lets out a frustrated sigh, he almost had him! He was so close to getting the confession and Red John still eluded him! Jane takes his leave, he wants to hurt Rory so badly but if he does then Rory can go clean. So close. Jane is so close.

•••••••••••••

The next chapter is the last chapter ; )