c h a p t e r : 9

"When I had you to myself, I didn't want you around
Those pretty faces always make you stand out in a crowd
But someone picked you from the bunch, one glance is all it took
Now it's much too late for me to take a second look"
-I Want You Back, The Jackson 5

---

"You're lesbian. I knew it."

Lilli's eyes widened and she sucked in a breath before sputtering, "W-w-wait hold up! One, why do you think I'm lesbian? Two, no I'm a superhero."

Jade let out a dry laugh over the phone. "A superhero, Lil that's hilarious."

"I'm not kidding. I'm Obsidian."

Silence.

"You're what?!" Jade's voice yelled through the speaker. Lilli let out a squeak and dropped the phone. She reached down and brought the phone to her ear.

"---REAKING BATMAN! You literally know nothing about being a vigilante. You're not safe, what if you get hurt. Please tell me you have a partner, or at least someone to have your back. Lilli what the fuck are you thinking!?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, what do you know about any of this? What right do you have to tell me what to do?"

More silence.

"You know that one time I magically jumped into your office? Well, you weren't imagining that, it was real. I've grown stronger and I can manipulate the blank space-"

"YOU WHAT? What the hell is a blank space? You're going to get yourself killed! I don't believe it. Is this a joke? It's a joke."

"Uh, no."

"Okay," Jade said taking a deep breath. "Tell me everything."

So Lilli did.

It was one of those conversations where one person talks a lot, and the other person just stays silent. Lilli felt awkward explaining it all. Especially when she talked about The Flash. When Lilli had finished, she wasn't positive if Jade was still there.

"Hello?"

"Um, yeah. Still here. Hey, Lil, I gotta go, but I'll call you back okay?"

"Wai-"

Then Jade was gone.

---

Lilli was all smiles as Barry picked her up for the double date, but her mind was on the phone call with Jade. Her older sister hadn't called her back.

When Lilli had asked Barry to go, he was all for it. Lilli was short and to the point when she asked, afraid he would think it was a stupid idea. Barry didn't ask who was going, he just went the flow.

Annika had texted Lilli earlier to meet in the Wayne Biotech lobby. The walk to Wayne Biotech was short, mostly because the air was so cold, Lilli and Barry walked as fast as they could. As the pair entered the lobby, a warm shiver ran through Lilli's cold body.

"About time you two showed up!"

Barry stopped in his tracks and clutched Lilli's arm.

"Cisco?"

The man standing next to Annika turned around.

"Barry? Ah, hell no!"

Annika shook her head slightly and looked between the two guys. Lilli opened her mouth wide, trying to compress a smile. Barry looked at Lilli, then at Cisco before he let out a single laugh. Cisco just stood there, glaring at Barry.