Chapter 35: Moving On

12th May, 2016

I would sincerely appreciate your views on this chapter, positive or negative, please express them. (In a polite fashion please!) And do hit the star button if you like it. (All those generous votes and comments have been serving as a huge motivation factor ;) The length and the limited characters who make an appearance in this chapter have been done on purpose! Happy reading :)

Your Lord has not taken leave of you, [O Muhammad], nor has He detested [you].

And the Hereafter is better for you than the first [life].

And your Lord is going to give you, and you will be satisfied.

[Surah Ad Duhaa]

Chapter 35:

Moving On

Ever so often in life, we find ourselves stuck in situations where whichever path we choose, it's going to be our loss anyway. It's funny, in a twisted way. It's like trying to decide whether it's better to jump off a ten storey building or light the matchstick that will crumble our world to ashes. Because either way, both situations will reach to only one end.

That's the end of us.

A week after he returned, Asif found himself in a similar situation.

"But why do you want me to get engaged, Ma?" He gritted out, trying to maintain his cool. He looked at Tabasum for help, but she didn't even look his way.

Of course she was doing it on purpose, for he had ignored all her warning signs earlier.

Sumaiya gaped at him, not sure if she should cross the distance to the couch and slap him or just throw her slipper.

"Tabasum, read all the duas against nazar (the evil eye) and blow over him. I don't know when my son turned this stupid."

"You think I'm stupid?" Asif asked Sumaiya incredulously.

"Who refuses for the engagement when they're fixed for almost a month now? I never imagined I'd have to spell this out for you, Asif. But listen to me, and I'm saying this only once," Sumaiya spoke, her tone making it clear that she was in no mood to play around. "You've rejected more girls than an Indian soap actress changes jewellery, and now that you've agreed for Sofia, I'm not willing to see you mess this up. If you remember clearly, her family had only one demand. That was for an early wedding. And I don't think they're wrong in any way. Both families have agreed that it would be best for you two to get engaged now so we can finalise the wedding dates. It's about time we made this relationship official. Sofia is still getting a few marriage propasals, not many people are aware that you two are fixed, so it's best you two get engaged and everyone will get the hint. And Asif, don't even think of saying no, we took your consent loud and clear before giving our approval to the family."

Asif heard his mother speak as he sat still as a statue. Of course he knew he'd be hearing this soon, but he was still putting it away for as long as he could. It was like getting a math paper you know you were going to fail in, but still trying to think of the chocolate ice cream lying in your fridge that you could eat later.

It was holding on to silly moments of short lived happiness to block out the disaster that waited ahead.

"Asif, what's the problem?" Sumaiya finally questioned. "Why don't you look happy? Sofia is such a wonderful girl, then what's the problem?"

Asif sighed, thinking over the words he was about to utter, and since he couldn't take it anymore, he finally said,

"I need time."