Chapter 36: A world of two

20th May, 2016

"We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents; in pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth."

(Qur’an 46:15)

Chapter 36:

A world of two

Time, Dina had realised, was going at a fast pace and yet too slow. Amidst the pampering from Bilal, baby shopping, eating, and some more eating, two trimesters of her pregnancy had already passed.

Since Bilal couldn't be home every second, the couple had shifted to Shabana's house. That way, Dina would not be alone everytime he went to office and thus, even he could actually work and not keep thinking and unnecessarily worrying about his wife.

Even before the baby was born, Bilal was proving to be one amazing dad. He assisted Dina in every single appointment to the gyno, and it had become an unsaid rule that everytime the little foetus kicked her belly, if he was around, she absolutely had to tell him.

And my God, that smile of his and swoon worthy look in his eyes everytime he bent down to her stomach and felt their baby growing, kissed it or spoke to it was a picture that not many could stand seeing.

Because it could wreck total havoc to their heart.

Now, as Dina walked out of the Masjid doors after Friday prayers, she was halted on her way.

"Shabana's daughter in law, right?" The lady questioned with a wide grin.

"Umm yes," Dina smiled a bit awkwardly. One year into their marriage, and she was still not accustomed to meeting random relatives and friends from Bilal's side of the family.

"Ma sha Allah, ma sha Allah," she praised, and asked, "How many months has it been?"

"Alhamdulilah, six."

"Oh you're almost there. Are you eating well? Look, my child, this is the time you must feed yourself, nevermind about the weight. And are you going on walks? Never underestimate the importance of exercise at this time, you'll realize this during delivery when you're going through enormous amount of pain."

When Dina looked aghast by the last sentence, the Aunty added on to her woes which was her way of consoling, "Oh come on, sweetheart, it's because of all this that mothers get their high rank. My daughter was in the ward for 30 hours before the doctors injected her with pain inducers and she delivered. Do you know the pain a mother goes through at this time is like dislocating joints and breaking bones?"

"Umm Aunty, I'm sorry but I have a doctor's appointment and Bilal is waiting for me," Dina hurriedly said as she pointed to the gate.

"Of course, my dear, you must carry on. Tell Shabana I said salaam."

"In sha Allah, sure. Assalamu alaikum."

And with that, Dina hurried to the Masjid gates and when she found Bilal's car waiting for her, she crossed the distance to join her waiting husband.

"I was going to ask you how did you like the khutbah (Friday sermon) but I think I should ask are you alright?"

"No. I'm scared. Very scared."

"What happened now?" Bilal asked, an amused grin making its way.

From the time Dina had begun to show, she had been displaying a lot of emotions regarding how her life was changing. The other day she had stopped in between chopping onions and had proclaimed,

"Oh my God, Bilal. I will never be able to go shopping and just buy everything I like. Now, I'll have to continuously check for a huge size that'll fit me."