Chapter Twelve-Dodgy Dates.

A/N: Hey all. Another update! :3 I wrote a lot this weekend so I’m pretty ahead, I didn’t expect to have Chapter Eleven up until about Wednesday, let alone Twelve by Monday. This is how much I love you guys :P Just want to ask, has anybody read either Me and the boy with the I.V or Awakening to Life? Both great books and sad, both about cancer. If you like these types of books, go to the epic Jessiytots (above). Her book, One last year is similar to the mentioned and really epic, so I suggest you go read it. ^.^ This is dedicated to you Jess, for being amazing and epic when most of my other friends haven’t been :P Oh and because last time I got told off for not mentioning her, hi Mum. xD Anyway, enjoy and lemme know what you think.

Chapter Twelve-Dodgy Dates.

Dylan’s P.O.V.

Ashlynn was a changed girl.

I mean, it wasn’t like she’d suddenly grown up or anything. It was just, out of nowhere, she was confident. She knew how to handle me, and she rarely blushed at all. In fact, I’d even go as far to say she was flirting on some occasions during our ‘date.’

The fiery, free spirited side of her personality I’d seen when she dealt with Cory that time had taken over. It was like, someone, somehow, had tapped into the little piece of confidence she had hidden away.

And you know what? I loved it.

“Look Dyl! Candyfloss and toffee apples! Hope used to--“She cut off then, lowering the hand she was pointing with. I followed her gaze to a small shack, grinning. She was such a kid.

My grin faltered as I looked at her expression. It clearly showed she’d said something she didn’t mean to let slip or do--one I was familiar with by now.

Everyone knew what had happened to Ashlynn’s twin. For another girl to die by the evil depths of what many now knew as Demon’s Lake, just a year or so after the death of Tallulah Johnston, was something that shook the town immensely.

There was a protest, my Father once told me, on one of the rare occasions he was actually home and bothering to talk to me. Of course, I was much too young to remember--being the same age as Ashlynn and Hope, I was only five at the time. Cory, being almost two years older than me, remembered it well.

No children were allowed out on their own. The townspeople fought and fought with the government to get the lake secured--gates, fencing...some even fought for a building to be built over it, knocking the lake out all together. But the government being the government wouldn’t do it--it seemed to them, it didn’t matter how many kids died at the hands of Demon’s Lake.

What made it worse was the fact that  my Father was heavily involved in making sure the lake wasn’t secured off, or built over, a fact that had haunted me for years, especially in this last week. Ashlynn could never know--it would be an insult to her sister’s memory that the government wouldn’t do anything, and my Father was involved.

I turned to Ashlynn then, coming back to the present. The look on her face was deep, a small frown appearing there.

“You want some candyfloss?” I asked, trying to lighten the mood. She nodded, her face lighting up at the thought.

“I need to pop to the loo--you go get the candyfloss. Get some for me too?” I asked, piling some money into her hand. “That’ll pay for yours too,” I told her and before she could argue, I ran away in the direction of the toilet.

Ashlynn’s P.O.V.

I sighed happily as I waited in line for the candyfloss. Other than the brief spat about Hope--which I’m more than sure Dyl noticed, but thankfully said nothing--this day was going perfectly. The sun was shining, Dylan was hilarious and I was having much fun acting like a big kid. Now, to top it all off I was going to eat candyfloss, something I haven’t had in years.