n i n e t e e n

| " P R O M I S E

| " P R O M I S E . " |

___♔___

The rest of the night flew by quickly with no disruptions. No tributes. No kills. No cannons.

I didn't want to face it, but I knew that soon enough all of us would be dead- except for one. And I was determined to make sure the boy from the other day and anyone in Leane's group wouldn't be taking the crown.

I slip outside of the cornucopia early that morning, taking a half loaf of bread with me. I boost myself to the top of the horn, and overlook over the areas around me. I eat slowly, and keep a lookout for any tributes that would approach.

As the others sleep peacefully, I start to think, and end up getting lost in my thoughts.

I think Apollo, Christiana, my parents, Mason, and Garret. About Leo, Krystal, Reena, Aven, and Paul.

"You have to rely on us, okay? Don't believe anything you see in those games. All of it will be a part of our plan. Don't let any of it get to you."

Pshhh. How could I not believe this? It's real, and it will never stop. The Capitol proved that when they slaughtered Katniss Everdeen after the assassination of President Snow.

I have to admit, Katniss had courage.

I watched a replay of her games when I was little, and was stunned by her ability to survive. And somehow, she defied the Capitol, and gave the rebels and Districts hope. But everyone's hope was crushed when her plan wasn't enough to overthrow the Capitol. Peeta Mellark and some of the other mentors were killed, along with Katniss, for her mistake.

A new leader took President Snow's place- someone from his family- and started the games again. Thankfully, this year he overlooked the Quarter Quell, and allowed us to have one of the regular games. I'm not so sure that we'll be fortunate enough to not have another Quell.

A rustle in the leaves behind me pulls me from my thoughts. I jump up quickly, swinging myself around to see Laila. Her eyes widen, and she holds up her hands in surrender as I look down at her, a knife ready to throw.

I sigh in relief, and hop down from the horn.

"I could've killed you," I say seriously. She rolls her eyes, not looking intimidated whatsoever.

"Yeah, sure." She snorts teasingly.

I stand in my spot for a moment, a close my eyes, wishing that I could just be home again. See everyone again. Be myself again.

The snap of a twig sounds from behind me. It was small- so small that if you weren't listening close enough, you wouldn't hear it.

I open my eyes again, and try to warn Laila. But it's too late. Chris sends me a wicked grin as I turn to him, then sends and arrow right through Laila's chest, before disappearing in the distance.