Is there more to this

Jenna's words continue to swirl around and around in my mind. I can't seem to escape them. It isn't for lack of trying, either. Her words just keep coming back to me. Not a single sound has been uttered between the two of us either, not since she dropped the bomb and everything clicked in my mind. I simply checked out at that point and got lost in my thoughts. I had finished eating on autopilot before Jenna had tugged on my arm gently to get my attention, then had gestured with her head for me to follow. Now I'm sitting on the toilet with only a towel wrapped around my body, while Jenna plucks and prods away. I am only here in body; my mind is still a million miles away. I am going to be sold at an auction to the highest bidder, like-like-like I am some sort of object to be bought and sold.

That thought alone terrifies me enough that I would much rather go back home and take any punishments my mother can dish out over and over again. At least there I know, for the most part, what is going to happen. My mother would switch it up a little every once and awhile, but in most cases I could be pretty sure what was going to happen. She only had three modes, depending on the 'crime' she thought I committed. There had been the "I just really don't want to deal with you, so I'll sit you on this stool and leave you for your father" level of punishments. Boring and uncomfortable, but the pain was manageable. The second and middle stage consisted of "kneel on this rice for hours on end"-again until my father would get in. Last, and by far the worst, was to just beat me until I could no longer move. She was always careful, though-never leaving a mark where anyone could see.

I am going into a whole new element with this situation, and I seriously doubt that it is the good kind of people that go to an auction like this, not one where girls are sold and bought. Fingers snap right in front of my eyes, and I jerk them up to meet Jenna's worried blue ones.

"Hey, sorry. I tried to get your attention a couple of times, but you weren't responding," Jenna gently states, a soft smile on her face.

"Sorry," I mumble. An apology always seems to soften the blow. Jenna waves me off.

"No, don't worry. I understand. Now, what is your favorite color?" she asks. I scrunch up my eyebrows. That seems to be an odd question right now. Why does she care? Jenna must pick up on my confusion, as she answers my unasked question.

"Look, you are about to be very uncomfortable, and it may help you to have something that is in your favorite color," she states.

"Um, pink," I answer quietly, poking my finger into my mouth. I'm still unsure on what she means. Jenna nods her head once and heads for the door.

"I'll be right back. Don't you dare go anywhere," she chirps, pointing at me, a small smile gracing her face. That has to be a joke, right? Where does she think I will go when I am only dressed in a towel? The door clicks shut quietly behind her, leaving me alone for the first time since I woke up on the cold the basement floor.

My eyes drop to the floor, where I find my gaze focusing on a droplet of water still lingering from my shower. This morning-has it really only been since this morning that my life had been normal? This morning seems like it had been days ago, instead of just mere hours. This morning had been so normal. Well, my normal at any rate. I had woken up early from a nightmare, so I got dressed, and did my chores before I had retreated to my room where I had planned on hiding the rest of the day. Each day had been filled with staying out of sight and most definitely out of the mind of my mother. Now here I am, sitting in a bathroom, just waiting on the next step, only to be sold at some auction. What lay beyond that is all still a mystery.

It scares me to think of what will happen once someone buys me, but I shudder to think of what the consequences if I am not sold at all. I know from what has been, said that I was bought from my parents at a high price. So if I'm not sold, what happens next? Had Jenna and Jade both been bought at a high price too, or was my price higher? What does that mean for me? Would my jobs be worse than theirs should I not be sold? Is there any chance of me escaping? If I do manage an escape, can I hide from these people forever? Would I ever be safe? The questions I hold seem to be in endless supply. My thoughts and continuous questions are interrupted by a small slip of fabric being placed into my lap. I pick up the material examining. It really isn't anything more than a bra with lacy material attached to the bottom. Confused, I turn my eyes to Jenna.